"My husband was admitted for a ..."

About: Castle Hill Hospital

(as a relative),

What I liked

My husband was admitted for a double hip replacecment on 26th April 2010. Whilst we where waiting to be booked in etc, a nurse came round with the medication. This nurse was careful not to touch the medication, but another nurse had taken their gloves off and sneezed twice into their hands then picked up the tablets and put them into a patient's mouth . The nurse did not wash their hands after sneezing into them or put their gloves on .Secondly the cleaner came in started to clean under the beds, they wiped under the 3 beds opposite my husbands bed around the back of the beds using the same cloth . The gentleman next to my husband had spilt something on the floor the cleaner wiped the floor still the same cloth the wiped his table that goes over the bed then finished wiping under the other beds .I believe if there are any germs bacteria etc these people are spreading them .

What could be improved

Firstly the nurse should have worn gloves, washed her hands, surley this is taught on Health and Hygiene courses. Secondly the cleaner could have washed her cloth out after cleaning each bed and used a different cloth for the floor.

More about:

Story from NHS Choices

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››