"A mother's cry for help"

About: Greater Manchester Pennine Care NHS Foundation Trust / Liaison psychiatry

(as a staff member posting for a carer/relative),

This story has been posted by Healthwatch Tameside on behalf of a member of the public. We have their details and will forward any comments to them. They said…

My son is in crisis. He is acting out of character. Been telling his GP for months he is not well, but nothing has been done.

I had to keep phoning the police to get into his house, as he’s not communicating with anyone. The police have been good but can’t do anything without the doctor. I rang the RAID team, but they are not taking me seriously. They didn’t return the call and haven’t done anything. No help has been offered.

I’m shocked at how little help there is to try and get care for family when they need it.

More about:
Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Pennine Care NHS Foundation Trust

Thank you for getting in touch via Patient Opinion on behalf of a member of the public. We’d appreciate it if you could pass the following message on:

We’re really sorry to hear your son has not been able to access support.

The usual route into our mental health services is via the Access Team. People are usually referred to this service by their GP as this allows the team to get the level of background medical information necessary to help determine the right treatment for the patient. So we’d recommend asking the GP to consider making a referral to the Access Team.

As you’ve mentioned that nothing yet has happened following visits to the GP, you are welcome to call the Access Team for advice on 0161 342 5155.

Please remember that if your son is highly distressed, at risk and in urgent need of support, he should go to A&E or ring 999.

Thank you.

  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful