"Very confusing"

About: Tameside General Hospital / General surgery

I was referred by my doctor due to a abcess I had that was needing draining they had informed the on call surgeons that I was coming in I got to an and e after 20 minute wait I saw the triage nurse who then let the surgeon know I was there after an hour wait the surgeons called me through they said I would be needing surgery but I was to call in the morning as they were to busy I understood this as they put emergencies first. I rang the bed manager next morning was told to come in at 4 o'clock and to be nil by mouth from 11 am which was fine, I went into the day surgery at 4 where me and my partner was left waiting for an hour I was called in and asked questions regarding my health then was sent back into the reception to wait we was left waiting until quarter to 7 until we was led to a bed on the ward we was told to sit at the side of the bed nobody came to talk to us and just left us sat there with this being my first ever operation in my life I was nervous and didn't have a clue what was going on my partner asked eventually at half past 8 how long will be waiting the nurse was not very approachable at all and just got told I don't know my partner then asked well with it getting this late is she staying over tonight does she need her night clothes the nurse said maybe they had to lead him out of the ward for which I accompanied him to fetch my night wear from the car as we left the ward he asked the nurse if I could get in the bed as no one had told us if I could or not they said yes so when I returned back the ward I changed into my pjs and got into bed 10 minutes later the nurse asked if I had a gown I could not understand them at first and told them I was in my pjs they said no no a gown I told them I had not been given one they came over and just put one on the table so I changed and got in bed at quarter past 10 I was told I was going down which was great the surgeon and porter was a lot more friendlier and cheerful towards me once back on the ward I came round from the general quite badly I was shivering violently and went into some sort of panic attack the nurses tried to calm me down one nurse was very helpful got me extra blankets and helped me calm down where the other nurse just checked the blood pressure machine and didn't show any concern they asked if I was a smoker I told them I was they then just walked off I drifted back off to sleep for an hour or so and then when I woke the helpful nurse realised I was awake so arranged some toast and coffee for me I was awake for a while after this in this time the nurse came over to me with some stockings they threw them on the table and said you need to put these on I was sore and groggy struggling to move due to having canula in my hand blood pressure machine and pulse monitor attached to me I struggled to put the tight stockings on me and was not offered any help. It was my first ever operation and I was nervous through attitude and waiting about did not make my stay reassuring

Story from NHS Choices

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Tameside and Glossop Integrated Care NHS Foundation Trust

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience.

I am sorry that aspects of your attendance gave cause for concern. If you would like to contact the PALS and Complaints team on 0161 922 4466 or email palsandcomplaints@tgh.nhs.uk and provide specific details, we can investigate this for you.