"I knew my baby was in safe hands"
About: Wishaw General Hospital / Maternity care Wishaw General Hospital Maternity care ML2 0DP
Posted by SEA15 (as ),
I was initially booked in for a c-section due to my baby being breech and this being considered the safest option, on attending the hospital that morning following a scan it was discovered my baby had managed to turn so I was sent home which was disappointing as I was ready to meet my baby but the Dr wanted me to have a natural delivery. I then attended the consultant clinic at lanark health centre where both the midwife and Dr were unsure of babys position and thought it may be breech again but Dr told me not to worry this would be 'dealt with' when I went into labour. I went into labour three days later and phoned triage around 8am and once I explained that no one was sure of babys position the midwife asked me to go to triage as soon as possible as if baby was breech again there could be complications. I attended triage at wishaw general hospital at 10am, the midwife was lovely and saw to me right away. Another midwife carried out an examination during which my waters ruptured, the midwife informed me they were green which indicated my baby was distressed but not to worry at the moment, I was then left with gas and air until finally a bed was found for myself in ward 22.
The midwife Monica in ward 22 was very reassuring and could not do enough for myself, my partner and mum. The Dr who I think was called Carl saw me very quickly and said he would scan me to find out babys position but he was called to an emergency and this never happened. I continued with only gas and air (my own choice) and finally it was decided my pain would need to be addressed as I was struggling with same. During this time it became more apparent my baby was increasingly distressed and Monica was struggling to maintain the monitoring of my babys heartbeat. She made the decision to put a clip onto babys head to get better readings, my waters continued to leak and continued to be green. I was reviewed by Dr Carl again who explained he was growing concerned for my baby and the fact I remained at only 4cm dilated. He asked another Dr (? Dave) to obtain blood samples from my babys head for testing and the results would decifer the next move. This process caused some problems and Dr Carl was asked to come back and obtain the samples himself. During this time my own condition deteriorated (I still dont know why) I required oxygen. Unfortunately the blood samples from my baby took longer than expected to return and my babys heart rate continued to cause concern. The decision was made that I would go to theatre for an emergency c-section. I was terrified and didnt understand what was going on or why things were going so wrong. Monica reasurred me at all times. All the staff in theatre 11 that day were amazing they were so supportive and tried to keep my spirits up at a time when I was absolutely terrified and believed I was going to lose my baby. Maddy the anaesthetist took my mind off what was happening with general chit chat which was much appreciated at the time. Finally at 14. 16 my daughter was born.
Unfortuntately my little girl needed some additional support and required to go to neo nates, I was absolutely devastated and felt I may still lose my little girl. Pauline from neo nates explained that my little girl was unable to maintain her oxygen levels and was causing them some concern and just needed a little support at that moment. I was unable to hold or even touch my little girl and was only allowed a quick look at her as she was wheeled away in her incubator. Again it was Monica who reasured me that she would be ok and she would take me to see her as soon as I was able to.
True to her word once I had been in theatre recovery for a few hours and I was stable Monica arranged for me to be taken in my bed to see my little girl. Nothing could have prepared me for seeing my little girl hooked up to different things in an incubator but again Pauline was quick to reassure me that she was doing well but unfortunately she was still requiring oxygen and was going to have IV antibiotics. Due to her still needing oxygen I was unable to hold my little girl but I was able to put my hand into the incubator and touch her which was very difficult but I knew my baby was in safe hands.
Finally, I was given the news that my baby was now stable and after a few more tests she would be able to join me back on ward 22 which was great news as it was very difficult being in a room with other new mums who all had their babies with them.
Thankfully despite believing this could have been avoided if my planned section had gone ahead, both myself and my little girl are doing well and I truly believe this is down to the quick actions of both Monica and Dr Carl I believe this could have ended very differently if it hadn’t been for them.
I will be eternally grateful to the neo natal staff for the care they gave my little girl but also for the support they gave myself and my family on visiting my baby.
The staff mentioned deserve to be recognised for the great work they do and I for one truly appreciate the work they do.