"My husband's chronic body pain"

About: Aberdeen Royal Infirmary / General Internal Medicine Woodend General Hospital / Elective Orthopaedics

(as a relative),

We have had enough nobody has diagnosed my husbands pain in 4 years of seeing orthopaedics, rheumatology, neurology and urology, all that is done is questions and blood tests. I have had him in tears many times and nhs 24 cant help they say. The pain management team cant help as they dont know where pain is coming from, it is mainly his legs and around hip area.

This has disabled him and I care for him aswell as trying to keep my job, we are so depressed with the lack of help and the pain he is in. He has a wheelchair and sticks to help him.

It might help if we thought people cared but it does not seem like they do, as they are not living this life of pain. Nobody has even suggested a cat scan etc they just pass him onto another speciality. Is it possible to get more help?

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Linda Oldroyd, Nurse Consultant, Person Centred Care, NHS Grampian

Dear jacol

I would firstly like to apologise for the time it has taken to respond to your post. I understand that this will further your concern that nobody cares. The delay is as a result of changes to the way in which we manage Patient Opinion in NHS Grampian.

I can feel the frustration in your story. When no one can give you answers it is understandable why you feel so deflated by your experiences. I am thinking that it will be your GP who has referred your husband to all these different specialties in the hope that someone will come up with an answer. Sadly that has not been in the case. I would urge you to go back to your GP and at least be referred for chronic pain management even if the cause cannot be found.

I am very sorry that you and your husband are having to live with this and that we have not been able to provide the help you need. Please ask your husband to go back to your GP as soon as possible. Unfortunately, our NHS system does not allow you to self-refer to hospital services but your GP should be able to help.

Kind regards,

  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful

Update posted by jacol (a relative)

We have been to pain clinic and they can't help as they don't know where it is coming from but offered my husband to go to pain meetings with Doctor ,nurse and a psychologist which they have not got one in place and we have to wait until nhs have this psychologist in place , and I know this can be months ,this is all very depressing

Response from ACVO TSI

Dear Jacol,

I am writing on behalf of ACVO TSI (Aberdeen’s Third Sector Interface).

We are aware of an organisation called “Grampian Pain Support” that may be helpful to you and your husband. I am afraid we only have details of their website: http://grampianpainsupport.btck.co.uk/ but if you are able to access that site then there is a contact form you can fill out and submit to them.

That said, the following information, taken from their website, may be helpful to you:

“Our message to people is please don’t suffer in silence, come along and join us!

The meetings of the GPS [Grampian Pain Support] are held within the centre of Aberdeen at the new Aberdeen Community Health and Social Care Village, Frederick Street on the first Friday of every month, 12-2pm where we will have a talk on a topic relevant to chronic pain as well as some time for group support and relaxation.

Also on the third Wednesday of every month we meet at the Foresterhill Suttie Centre 2-4pm, this meeting is less formal and gives members a chance to chat in a more relaxed setting. We usually end by spending some time listening to a relaxation CD or something similar.


The VSA Carers Centre may also be able to support you in your role as your husband’s carer. They can be contacted on 01224 21 20 21 and they are located in the VSA building at 38, Castle St, Aberdeen near the Salvation Army Citadel. They are open Monday to Friday from 9.00am to 5.00pm.

One final piece of information that may be of help to you is that we have compiled a directory of organisations in the city that may be able to provide you with other non-medical advice and support about some of the difficulties you are experiencing. This directory can be found at the following link: http://acvo.org.uk/mental-health-directory/

We hope that this information is of help.



  • jacol thinks this response is helpful
    {{helpful-1}} other {{helpful-1 == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} so too

Update posted by jacol (a relative)

Thankyou for replying , we will give it a try as we are willing to try everything and we did not know about this group , I am surprised as I work for NHS and not heard of it