"Referral to hospital"

About: Royal Albert Edward Infirmary / Accident and emergency

(as a relative),

My father was referred to Wigan hospital by his GP for him to be admitted at around 5.45pm. We were sent to A&E and we got there at 9.10pm due to waiting for an ambulance to come. I explained that I was able to take him myself but as it was ordered I was told to go by ambulance.

When we arrived we showed the hospital staff a card which should have helped him to been seen quicker due to his illness. The nurses came to check his blood pressure and also put him on a drip. They informed us the medics were just changing over shifts and would be with us shortly. By 11.10pm nobody had been near him since the nurses. I went up to the desk as my father was going very dizzy and in a lot of pain (my father has terminal cancer) and needed assistance. She explained she will get him on a bed in the next room(CDW). 45 mins later I went back to the desk to state nobody had been near him. I was told he was next in line to be seen, then a porter came and took him onto the CDW, but by this time it was 11.45pm and my father had to take his own medication. At 12pm I left after being informed that the original medic hadn't turned in and the replacement was on his way round to each patient. I believe this contradicts what I had previously been informed. By this point still nobody had been to see him.

I phoned the next morning and was told that the nurse was with him and could I be put on hold for a moment. I was put on hold that long the line went dead I phoned back 15minutes later and was asked to phone back in 1/2hour as the nurse was still with him. Low and behold dad phones 10 minutes later to say he was moved in the middle of the night to another ward and given a blood transfusion. It is completely beyond me why they could they not have admitted him straight away. I think the doctor could have phoned to see if there were any beds and done all this on the ward instead of leaving an old man, my dad with terminal cancer sat in a chair for 3hours. This incident just added to the stress my family are going through and has been very upsetting to all of us.

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››