"Maternity Ward Is A Disgrace"

About: New Cross Hospital / Maternity care

I had my little boy in March, the delivery suit and its staff were amazing. Friendly people and made me feel at ease, but that was as good as it got. As soon as I was sent down to the maternity ward, the service took a dive. Within minutes of being in there my husband was kicked out, even though I was feeling very unwell. My son was having breathing problem and due to my weakened state and my neuro issue, I couldn't help my son. I called for assistance, and when the nurse came in I got told off for not picking up my son, even though he was turning blue. I explained the situation and demanded that they watch him because of my weakened state and the fact I was seriously worried about him. Later that night I had a strange turn, I felt hot and cold, having problems breathing and felt lethargic. I was told I was fine and I just had a strange dream - at the same time I was told my son went blue a further 3 times in the night. If they were monitoring him properly, he shouldn't have gone blue 3 more times. Also they still saw no problem with him, saying he was just mucusy. I didn't agree but they ignored my concerns. My son was eventually taken down to neonatal, but it took them 3 days to figure out he had a serious medical problem. By day four he was in the Children's Hospital. But the problem didn't stop there. They ignored my lethargic, lightheaded and feeling sick fo nearly 3 days. I found out that I had anaemia, after they decided to run a blood test. It only took a ridiculous amount of annoying and prompting. And then I had problems getting my iron tablets. If it wasn't for my family bringing me food and drink with high iron content, I would have been too ill to travel to Birmingham to look after my child. I waited 3 hours to be discharged, waiting for my paperwork and medicines - they had a hand over midway through doing my discharge and then we had to go to the nurses station to find out what was going on. Can you believe, they thought I had left, even though they hadn't finished doing the discharge paperwork, or anything. I had to give the nurse the handover details and then it took 5 mins to sort out. Complete jokers!

Story from NHS Choices

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from The Royal Wolverhampton NHS Trust

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments relating to your recent patient experience. I am extremely sorry for any distress that this matter has caused.

To enable me to look further into your concerns, I would be grateful if you can contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on 01902 695362.

Kindest regards

Alison Dowling

Head of Patient Experience and Public Involvement