"My mum"

About: King's Mill Hospital / Older people's healthcare Newark Hospital / Trauma and orthopaedics

(as a relative),

The Parkinson nurse changed her medication by 12 hours and subsequently she was 12 hours without medication but not warned about increased symptoms. She fell without an emergency button. After being spotted through the window by a man who tends the garden (the warden was on holiday and no one was covering the morning call), the ambulance man made her toast. But despite her insistence that she needed medication she had a cup of coffee from a carer and a tea made by her son and no medication. The GP called by phone as he was too busy to come out. I rang and told her to go and get herself a drink and food. I never asked about medication. The second fall is timed from my phone call. She went to sleep on the floor wearing her emergency button unpressed.

She was admitted to Kingsmill, Mansfield but she didn't get any medication until 3pm and her 24 hour pill until the next morning. She was in emergency assessment until 2 days later. No one got her to stand or walk. She was finally moved to ward 52. She complained of rough handling in the night.

Two days later the physios came and began to get her to stand they noticed her blistered heels. At 6am the next day it was in her medical notes that her feet were fine as was her body. At 10am both heels were completely blistered with the right blister burst, she had fingernail marks on her shoulder and clothes burns on her hip. Her carpet burn from the fall was now inflamed and weeping. Suddenly she was off in an ambulance to Newark with no room for her walker or belongings.

Newark nurses cataloged her injuries made by vigorously dragging her about the bed. She remembered asking for paracetamol to sleep 2 nights previously because her heels hurt so much.

She is now walking thanks to Newark hospital. I can only thank the Kingsmill nurse who did her job and recorded her heel blisters. They do not appear in four hours between 6am and 10am even the physios were witness to this. I stayed with my mum most days but I could not protect her at night. In my opinion, many staff were ticking boxes without examining her. That last morning we were sent to xray where the radiographer refused to x ray her again as she remembered her from 4 days earlier?

I parked at the drop off at Newark with all her belongings. I asked reception what to do with my car, they said don't worry, leave it there. When I left my mum, my car was surrounded by tape and plastic fencing. There was a parking infringement notice. I had parked over the drop off because it had been the only space available. A man in light blue uniform top came out and I had a tirade of abuse hurled at me. When I said but none of this was there when I parked, he told me I was lying. I cried because I couldn't find my car keys to escape because I lost them in my mums dirty laundry. I imagine staff at Newark know who he is.

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from King's Mill Hospital

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments, feedback from patients and their families and carers is important to us as we strive to improve the service we provide. You raise a number of concerns and it is important to us that we address these so it would be useful to discuss them in detail with you. Please could you contact our Patient Experience Team on 01623 672222 or email:pet@sfh-tr.nhs.uk

  • dougla12 thinks this response is helpful
    {{helpful-1}} other {{helpful-1 == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} so too