"Tooth extraction"

I was booked in for a tooth extraction and I was petrified! The booking procedure should hav ebeen straight forward but wasnn't. I received my appointment but couldn't make it so I called and left a message to advise of this. I didn't hear back so after calling 3 times and failing to get through to anyone, I eventually spoke to a member of the team. I expalined what happened and they said that I had been put back in the system as I hadn't rung. I said I had and then they transferred me to a colleague who very rudely told me that I had not rung and so I had been referred back to the dentist. They told me I had to call my dentist and get another referral sent. I refused at it was not my mistake and they then put me on hold! When they came back on the line, they again very rudely and abrupty told me that they had rung the dentist and done the referral themself. I then waited for a new letter to confirm the new appointment date but this did not arrive. I had to chase this up again. On the day of the appointment, I arrived and booked in easily. I was called through almost immediately and taken through the pre-op checks. I was then walked through to the theatre and settled in the chair. Again, checks were made and I was told I would soon be ready for my extraction. I felt the cold going through my arm and then the next thing, I was sat in a comfy chair, waking up! The nurse explained everything had gone well and gave me a while to come round a litle bit more before coming back with my medication. The nurse walked me back to reception and I was driven home by my famiy. On returning home, I took some pain relief then slept on and off for the rest of the day. I ate a little mashed potato and off to bed where I slept well after taking some more pain relief. According to the paperwork, the pain over the next few days could be worse and I was really dreading this as I struggle to swallow tablets. However, to my surprise, there was no pain at all and my face did not swell at all either. I had a dull ache for a day or two but that was it. I used the mouthwash as advised and cleaned my teeth ok after a few days. Now, 3 weeks down the line, it is all going well and is healing perefctly. I have had no pain and not needed any pain relief since day one. I was terrified before the extration but it has been the most straight forward procedure ever. A huge thank you to the surgeon who did the extraction as their skill meant that my procedure was virtually pain free. Thank you!! It was just a shame that the booking team were not as friendly and professional as the theatre team and the Dezives team.

Story from NHS Choices

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Devizes NHS Treatment Centre

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments after your recent visit to us. Please accept our sincere apologies for your poor experience with the booking team. It is always extremely disappointing to hear that we have not met the high standards of care and service we set for ourselves. Feedback like yours helps us to understand what we are doing well and what we could do better.We will conduct a thorough investigation into the points you have raised and if you would like to contribute further to this do please contact Ann.Grogan@careuk.com who will be only too happy to help further.

However we are really pleased to hear that you were so satisfied with your procedure itself and your praise will be shared with the staff involved in your care.

Best wishes

Devizes NHS Treatment Centre

  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful