"Day assessment unit"

About: Princess Anne Hospital

About 2 weeks ago at 37 weeks pregnant I rang through to the unit as advised to do so by the nhs 111 service. I explained I had been suffering with a sickness bug and was unable to keep fluids down. They told me to come in so myself and the baby could be checked on. When I arrived I explained who I was and that I was suffering with a (probably contagious) stomach bug. And was told to sit in the waiting room where I was waiting at least an hour where the receptionists had not advised anyone upon my arrival! Eventually a midwife pops their head in and asks who I am etc.. I told the midwife, and they brought me through to the assessment unit where there were other pregnant ladies being checked. The midwife clearly had no idea why I was there because they assumed I was in for reduced foetal movements (which I was but not solely) so I proceeded to tell the midwife it's because I had this bug and was feeling severely dehydrated. The midwife then told me off for being there when it's contagious! Which I had made very clear at least 3 times before entering the room. So I was then moved to a side room. They put me on a trace to check on babies heart beat, and her heart beat appeared to be higher than usual and erratically changing (I'm assuming from dehydration issues) the midwife told me I was lying when I said that I could not feel my baby moving because the midwife could hear it aparently! Every time I felt her I pushed the button but the midwife continued to insinuate I was lying. I arrived at the hospital at 10pm this night and wasn't even checked until 2 the following morning. The midwife also did not believe how sick I was, and came in with a jug of water and pretty much forced me to drink it even though I said that it would make me sick (the midwife again seemed to think I was lying) and refused to give me a sick bowl and in turn I was sick on the floor trying to reach over to the bowls whilst still on the trace machine. Eventually at 4/5 in the morning the midwife realised something wasn't right and hooked me up to an Iv. They failed 3 times to insert a cannula and in the end the doctor came through, they had been using the wrong needles and left me severely bruised. By this point I was crying I wanted to go home! A few hours later her heart rate calmed down and they said I'd be allowed to leave, to be told another midwife was just going to chase my bloods and finish my notes and I was told to call my taxi. I ended up waiting another 3 hours because they 'forgot' about me and I couldn't leave without my notes. I was also charged by my taxi company for wasting their time. This midwife was awful and made this a very traumatic experience for me! I would not suggest this a place for young mums they look down their noses at you and think you have no idea what you are doing!

Story from NHS Choices

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Princess Anne Hospital

Thank you for posting your feedback.

We were so very sorry to read of the difficulties and problems you encountered when you attended the day assessment unit recently.

We appreciate it was a distressing time for you.

If you would like to discuss these issues further, please do not hesitate to contact the patient support services on 023 8120 6325.

We do hope that your pregnancy has gone ahead without further problems and that you are looking forward to the birth of your baby.

  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful