"We're in the dark"

About: Castle Hill Hospital / Cardiology Hull and East Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust

(as a relative),

My husband suffers with his heart and we think and have been told, that he needs a by-pass. Last year we tried for 5 months to get him seen- when he was eventually seen they did so many tests on his heart and lungs and at the end they said they couldn’t do a by pass as his lungs were damaged. We didn’t understand why this was and we weren’t told.

At the beginning of December he was taken into the respiratory ward on oxygen. He came out in January and we were told something was going to be done to help him. We finally got to see the Dr at Castle Hill earlier this month, thinking there would finally be some progress and the doctor just said he’d see us ‘in a years time’.

We’d really hoped we were getting somewhere, he needs a bypass at least something to help him. He gasps when he walks and is on a machine for almost 2 hours a day. We don’t want another check up, we need something done. We’ve been advised by heart surgeons that he needs help and urgently, but we’re getting no where and now he’s not scheduled to see the doctor for another year. I’m very worried about him.

We’re told very little and we don’t know the plan for his care- we’re in the dark. We’re elderly and it’s not easy to get to Castle Hill. I don’t want to keep making my way up there just to get no where.

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from

Dear Nectar237

Thank you for posting your comments on the Patient Opinion website. We are very concerned to hear that you are in this position.

We have forwarded your comments to the hospital’s Patient Advice and Liaison Service and are awaiting their response which we will post as soon as possible. In the meantime, we would urge your husband to contact them to discuss the matter in more detail. They would be able to look into his particular case and offer him some advice. They may be contacted either in person at the hospital, by telephone on (01482) 623065 or by email on pals.hey@hey.nhs.uk.

We would also suggest that he try to discuss the matter again with his GP who may be willing to contact the consultant on your husband’s behalf if he/she is concerned about the clinical situation.

NHS Hull is the organisation responsible for deciding how money is spent on local health services [also known as commissioning], ensuring those services are of high quality and meet local needs. We value all feedback and if you would like to discuss this matter further with us, please do not hesitate to contact our Patient Advice & Liaison Service on 01482 335409 or email on pals@hullpct.nhs.uk.

If you would like to become more involved in decisions about local healthcare, all local health Trusts are recruiting ‘members’. By becoming a member you can receive advice on keeping yourself and your family healthy, find out more about your local NHS and help us improve local services. You don’t need any special skills or experience to become a member, you just need an interest in local health services. There is no commitment, you can get involved as much or as little as you choose.

For more information please either email your.nhs@hey.nhs.uk or telephone 01482 675165.

Thank you once again for taking the time to provide us with your views on local services.

  • {{helpful}} of {{total()}} people think this response is helpful

Response from

Dear Nectar237

Thank you very much for your feedback. At the Trust we aim to ensure all of our patients receive the most appropriate treatment for them and we are concerned that you are not fully satisfied with your experience of our hospitals. We would encourage you to contact our PALS department 01482 676414 to allow you to speak with one of the officers in order that we can discuss your issues further and hopefully will be able to provide you with additional information and a satisfactory conclusion to your issues.

Margaret Parrott

Clinical Governance Partnership Manager

  • {{helpful}} of {{total()}} people think this response is helpful