"The nurse who looked after my ..."

About: Princess Royal Hospital (Haywards Heath)

(as the patient),

What I liked

The nurse who looked after my husband on was an absolute credit to the NHS

What could be improved

I overheard a surgeon in the hallway outside my husbands room, LAUGHING with the nurses about the man who went to theater after my husband. She was talking rather animatedly about this poor mans misfortune during his operation, where they accidentally cut through an aorta and was laughing about the blood hitting the ceiling. I am so glad it wasn't my husband they were all publicly talking and laughing about as I feel it was no laughing matter. The time before this when my husband was operated on they almost killed him by puncturing the common bile duct and he had to be blue lighted to RSCH, where he had to go back to theater 3 times to sort out the mess left by an incompetent member of staff. He had peritonitis and sepsis and was in RSCH for around 20 days. I am so glad I didn't hear then laugh about it. I don't think I could have been held responsible for my actions. My husband had only gone in to hospital for a routine laparoscopic gall bladder removal.

Anything else?

I do know there are many dedicated staff members in this hospital but sadly there are many, who really don't care. After my husbands first op that went wrong, he was moved to Hurspierpoint ward and I was sent home being told he was only being kept for observation as he was the last patient on the list and they were just keeping him because of that. However I could not relax at home and phoned the ward twice. Once that evening, when I was told he was fine and the second call at 8am next day I was told he had a very comfortable night and to come at 3pm for viisiting and he would probably be sent home. Imagine my dismay when I went to visit and found my big 6 foot husband HOWLING in pain like a wounded animal, with the call button up behind his bed out of his reach and he had been left in the same position in the bed since 6.30 the night before. The man in the next bed to him (who was also quite poorly) told me he had got up in the night to go look for a nurse for my husband as they would or could not answer the call bell. When a nurse did come to see my husband he told her the pain relief drip was not working as the tube was trapped in the plastic casing and she told him to press the button and he would get more of the drug.My husband was left in that state until I got there and insisted in seeing the ward manager and a doctor, who promptly got the anethiestist to administer a high dose of analgesia so he could be moved by ambulance to RSCH. I followed by car and could not keep up and the ambulance had its siren and blue lights going. When we got to RSCH I was told he had sepsis and was tachecardic. The doctors got him stable that night but early next morning had to be rushed to theater to have a peritineal washout. He was very unwell for the next 14 days and had to have 3 more procedures to make him better

Story from NHS Choices

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Princess Royal Hospital

We are very sorry to hear about your experience in our hospitals. We will pass your email on to relevant staff, including the staff who lead Hurstpierpoint ward, and we would encourage you to make a formal complaint so that we can properly investigate your experience.

You can contact the Complaints Department at the Royal Sussex County Hospital on 01273 696955 (ask for the Complaints department) or on 01444 441881 extn. 8114 for the Princess Royal. If you prefer you can email us on complaints@bsuh.nhs.uk. We hope your husband is recovering well.

  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful