"Discectomy in May 2016"

About: North Devon District Hospital

For 18 months I was going back and fourth to my doctor as I had a slipped disc. I received treatment from a physiotherapist for a few months during this period of time and it didn't help me, I just ended up in more pain. I was on all kinds of medication, and still the pain just seemed to get worse. In April 2016 I got a referral to go see a specialist, where he arranged an mri scan. 2 weeks after this scan I received the results and it was confirmed I had a bulging disc. My specialist and I talked about my options and agreed surgery was going to be my best option as I was at a point in my life where I was exhausted with the pain and no longer able to work- I could barely function and was unable to walk very far. Towards the end of April I attended my pre op and met my surgeon as soon as I walked into the office they instantly made me feel at ease and was very sympathetic . They showed me my mri scan photos and explained clearly what was wrong and how they planned on fixing it. I found the surgeon to be a very genuine, honest and respects their patients. On The morning of May 10th 2016 I attended the hospital ready to have my operation later that day. Whilst waiting to go down to theatre the surgeaon came to see me to make sure I was ok and to go over some paperwork and the nurses were just great with me. Later that day I was taken down to theatre and the anaesthetist got me ready. There was also a lovely person who stayed by my side and chatted with me to keep me calm. I'm not sure if they were a nurse or another anaesthetist, but whoever you are- thank you so much, I am so grateful. At 5pm I woke up in recovery and I was for the first time in 18 months pain free! The sciatic pain had instantly gone. I was then taken on to a ward where the surgeon visited me again to make sure I was ok. I had a restless night, but that was to be expected due to the surgery, but the nurses were amazing with me all night and nothing was too much trouble for them. The following morning I again received a visit from my surgeon, where they did a few checks and was happy with the progress I was making. A couple of hours later I saw a physiotherapist who helped me up and walked me around. The feeling was just fantastic. It is now 3 months later and I attended a check up today with my surgeon who seemed as happy as me that I am now pain free. I honestly feel like a new person and I can't thank all the staff enough. I was treated with respect the entire time and if I or my children ever have to go through anything like this again- It is this surgeon and team that I would seek out to sort the situation. Thanks again.

Carrie Wilson.

Story from NHS Choices

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››