"Better bed side manners needed"

About: The Royal Marsden Hospital (London) / General surgery

(as the patient),

I went to the Marsden back last year 2009 after what I feel was a complete mess up of my diagnosis. I was told this is the best place in the world. I thought the consultant I saw needs some manners. I think he needs a better bedside manner and listen to what people tell him and not just what he thinks. I was told I had a meningioma (brain tumour). Then after another mri scan I was told it was a acoustic neuroma of the fifth cranial nerve and that fractionated stereo graphic radiotherapy was the only option as I would have a stroke if operated on. I went through the procedure and had a head mask fitted. I started treatment for six weeks and before the treatment I had an interview with the clinical nurse which I thought was more like the jobcentre plus. It seemed this person wasn’t interested in any problems I was suffering and from stated I felt like I should be working and not trying to claim benefits. I also was made to feel like I was in the wrong hospital and that I did not have cancer and should have gone elsewhere.

I have worked all my life even after having polio at three and fought my way back to a restricted normal life. I still have no use in the left side of my body. I started radiotherapy treatment but it seemed to me that there was no system for this treatment. People were being let through first although I had been waiting an hour. On fitting my head frame and because of the treatment my head was changing size which I felt the hospital staff could not understand as they forced the head frame onto my head causing me great pain. This was done this on several occasions and I complained but I feel this was to no effect.

I saw people carry their notes around to see other doctors and I guess this is a hospital with millions of pounds worth of computer equipment but it seems that no one is using it. In my opinion this is a waste of money and I would not donate a penny to them as I believe it is wasted. I had my treatment after many complaints I made about the way I was treated by some of the staff who I felt were ignorant. I went for my first mri scan after three months, I think they had forgotten about me. After waiting an hour I saw the consultant but I was not given an explanation for the delay. I told him I was still having problems with other symptoms which he said to me was nothing to do with him and that since my treatment I had suffered the loss of hearing and that my ear was still weeping now like black fluid. After four months he stated nothing to do with him and to see an ENT consultant. I was then told the treatment was a success but I felt like he would not explain how and then walked out of the room. If this is good hospital procedure I give up which I have as it seems to me that no one cares.

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››