"Funding Issues for Treatment following change of local GP practice"

About: Nottinghamshire County Teaching PCT

(as the patient),

I was referred to the Pain Clinic for Chronic Pain and saw a specialist in January. He works out of the QMC but I saw him in a local-ish GP surgery under the Pain in the Community team (or similar).

He said he'd write to my GP. During this time but before I saw him I moved GP surgeries, just down the road, same postcode area. His letter never arrived. I chased it this morning with the Pain Clinic team and was told that the letter had been sent to my old practice. It appears that my practice did not get it or didn't bother to forward it (within a short walking distance).

I think this is terrible. I've been waiting all this time to find out it's been discarded/lost.

I had given my new GP's details at the time of the consultation but this had not been recorded so the community pain clinic didn't know about it.

I told them again today that I had moved and GP surgery address (to be clear: I have not moved house or anything similar, simply changed from one local practice to another local one) and was told that as the new surgery isn't in the same funding consortium they cannot now see me and are discharging me after one appointment.

How can this be? I'm in the same house, my new surgery is just a short walk away from the old surgery. I feel that the NHS should handle this for me.

I've now got to be referred again (what about wait times etc). I may not get to see the same specialist.

Surely this cannot be right, what about patient care? What about my treatment? What about me as a person?

I feel abandoned and am now back at square one again.

Please can someone help me?

Surely the NHS can handle a simple practice change? I believe the funding issue should be handled internally and I don't want or need to get involved.

If someone could take ownership of this issue for me I'd really appreciate it.

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Helen Limb, Patient and Public Involvement Manager, NHS Rushcliffe Clinical Commissioning Group

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback regarding the problems you are having with funding for treatment after changing GP practice.

May I suggest that you contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service for NHS Nottinghamshire County, who will be able to look into this for you. Their contact details are: 0800 028 3693 or pals@nottspct.nhs.uk

Best wishes

  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful