"Fantastic Staff at a Great Hospital"

About: Lister Hospital

I recently have been looked after by a fantastic Consultant and the ENT team at Lister after I discovered a large lump in my right thyroid.

After a core biopsy it was suspected that there were follicular cells in the nodule and the removal of my right thyroid gland was scheduled almost immediately.

The operation went very smoothly and I was discharged the following day. It was then diagnosed that I had follicular thyroid cancer and as a result the left thyroid had also to be removed.

This operation also went well although I developed a throat infection after discharge stemming from damage to my uvula when the breathing tube was removed.

Unfortunately the throat infection masked an infection that developed at the site where the thyroid had been removed.

After consulting with two GP’s, and having two lots of medication for the throat infection, I ended back at Lister in A&E at 7.30am on the 8th May.

Whilst all my treatment so far has been brilliant, it is the treatment from the 8th until the 11th May (when I was discharged) that I have been most impressed and grateful for. All the staff at A&E were brilliant, making me as comfortable as possible whilst an assessment was done.

I was quickly moved to the Surgical Assessment Unit and the ENT doctor confirmed the infection where the thyroid had been removed and recommended surgery to clean the site and to insert a small drain.

I was down in theatre by 12.30pm and the team looking after me there were fantastic as I was a bit stressed to be having a third operation.

I particularly want to thank the anaesthetists for looking after me so well and putting me at ease.

The operation also went well and I was moved to ward 11B north (where I had been for the previous two operations).

The staff on this ward were all fantastic, from the team responsible for keeping it so clean, the catering team and the nurses.

I cannot thank them enough for the care I received, one person in particular who was amazing.

A few hours after the operation I felt really swollen and was worried something was wrong, an ENT doctor came to check on me. Despite being busy they totally reassured me and listened to my concerns.

They marked the area around the swelling and took some photos.

They returned to check I was OK a couple of hours later, in the early hours of the morning, and then another doctor checked me a few hours after that.

On Tuesday a Consultant examined me and the drain was removed.

After this the operation site swelled again and bled, as a precaution the ENT doctor agreed I should remain in until the morning for observation.

I remained on ward 11B north until Wednesday 11th May and was discharged early morning.

I would like to thank all the staff at Lister for the fantastic care I received and hope the next stage of my treatment is as positive.

Story from NHS Choices

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Lister Hospital

Many thanks for the feedback Karen - it's really appreciated, especially by the A&E and surgical teams to whom we have sent it just now.

We know they will be delighted to read it and will join us in wishing you well as the next stage in your treatment gets underway.

  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful