"Worried about symptoms and no GP investigation"

About: Royal Bournemouth General Hospital / Gynaecology

(as the patient),

I've been bleeding with no reason in the last month and also, when I have sex with my partner, the bleeding after sex and the pain its being common in the last month.

I've been to my GP this evening thinking he will refer me to the gynaecologist and he only prescribed me some mefenamic acid without investigating what it could be.

I called the hospital trying to speak with some doctor and they told me without a GP referral they are not able to give me an appointment. I'm very upset and worried about this, I really need someone to have a look if I have something wrong.

My mum had cervical cancer few years ago and I feel I don't have any help. If the NHS cannot help me, maybe you can provide me a private gynaecology service in Bournemouth that I can see asap please?

Thanks for your help and time.

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Sue Mellor, Patient Experience Lead, Royal Bournemouth & Christchurch Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

Dear Loli

We understand the sensitive nature of your enquiry and the concerns you have and would recommend that you return to your GP for a further appointment. You can make a request to see a different GP if you feel it would be appropriate but do highlight your concerns including your mother’s history and ask to be referred to a gynaecologist.

I have spoken with the Matron who overseas our Department of Sexual Health and she has advised that you can self-refer to be seen here, their contact details are 01202 704644 or 01202 704646. The clinic is able to offer smear tests along with tests for other common conditions.

I hope this advice is helpful to you in seeking the support you require.


Sue Mellor

Head of Patient Engagement

  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful