"Upper and Lower Jaw Realignment"

About: Poole General Hospital

My son had an orthodontic operation to break his upper and bottom jaw on the 4th May 2016.

I was informed that the operation would take 4-5 hours, after dropping him off I decided to travel back to Weymouth & return later. I left my phone number for them to call me, which they said they would when he was in recovery. This didn't happen.

In addition to this I asked what ward he would be moved to but they said they didn't know. I decided to travel back to Poole at 1.30pm as my son had gone down to theatre at 8.20am, I contacted day surgery who informed me he was in recovery. When arriving at the hospital I had every expectation that I would be able to see him but after phoning the day surgery department again they said he was still in recovery. I asked them how long it would be until I could see him and they said I don't know but I'll give you the number of the ward he will be going to, B2 and they might be able to tell you. I phoned the ward and they informed me that he was on the list to go there but they didn't know what time.

I left it another half hour and called the day surgery department again to see if they had any news.

When answering the phone they said they would check when he went down to theatre, which I already knew, then said he was still in theatre and I should know it was along operation.

But I had already been told he was in recovery.

After travelling from Weymouth I had already spent money in the hospital canteen and was sat out in the main entrance foyer.

At 3.50pm phoned the ward to see if he was there but no he wasn't, I told them I was just wandering round the hospital to which they said we have a waitng room that I was more than welcome to sit in but they didn't know when my son would be on the ward.

He was ready to leave recovery but they needed to move two people out of the ward to another then clean before he could come up and it all depended on the porters and what time they had.

At 5.05pm he actually came up to the ward.

I followed him being wheeled into his bay to then have a nurse tell me, give us 5 minutes to sort him out. I went back to the waiting room.

15 minutes later no-one had come to say it was okay to see him so I went to the ward desk to ask, yes they said it's fine to see him.

Would of been nice to be told after 9 hours of him going down to surgery.

When approaching his bed he told me he felt sick. I told the nurse he felt sick one went strolling up the ward whilst my son was flapping his hands at me. I looked at the other nurse and they told me they were going to get a bowl, I said he's going to be sick and there was a bowl on his bed. As the nurse went in the room he was sick just about in the bowl. Albeit my son being 19 he is still young and you worry about him. I just felt the care wasn't sufficient enough.

I asked the other two people on the ward to look after him when I left so I had a bit of confidence because I didn't with the nursing staff.

Lack of care on the ward and day surgery should give you more info

Story from NHS Choices

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Poole General Hospital

I am very sorry that you felt that your son wasn't cared for adequately.

I'm sure you found the waiting to see him a very anxious time but he would have been well cared for while he was in recovery.

You would have been told if there was any cause for alarm.

We don't sent patients back to a ward after a big operation like his until we are sure that they are medically stable.

If they need one to one nursing care, they are transferred to the high dependency or intensive care unit.

It is quite common for patients to be held in recovery while a suitable bed is identified for them after an operation.

We are a large and very busy hospital. Balancing the planned work that we do with our large numbers of emergency admissions can be challenging but we make sure that patients are being safely cared for at all times during their stay.

We cannot provide one to one nursing though, unless it is deemed to be clinically necessary.

With regard to him being sick afterwards, I'm afraid this is a common side-effect of having an anaesthetic.

As long as he had a bowl, the nursing staff would have left him to be sick if he needed to be.

Of course, if he had rung his bell for assistance, they would have come and given this.

At 19, he is an adult and we rely on patients telling the staff when they need assistance.

I do hope that your son is making a good recovery from his operation and that it will prove to be entirely successful.

  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful