"Gall Bladder removal"

About: Queen's Hospital / General surgery

(as the patient),

I have been an in patient quite a few times for neurological problem. Had brilliant care from these experiences. Until I had a gall bladder removal op. I was treated like I was an imbecile i feel because I have a speech problem.

I had the op and anything that could go wrong did go wrong.

Instead of keyhole surgery they went over to open surgery (fair enough) however I was out of it for a few days. When I came to the pain was excruciating.

After a few days I was visited by a physio (very nice and good) we went for a very small walk.

On returning to the ward we realised that I had left a trail of some foul liquid that was leaking from the wound. It was coved up with about 6 large pads of gauze and still this fluid got through. I found out my bile duct was leaking, so had to go through the awful procedure of having a stent put in place. This was done putting it down my throat. That sorted it out.

At the end of December I was allowed home. Great you may be thinking.

Within the week I was back in constantly vomiting and was readmitted. Went for a scan where I was told my liver was leaking and it had filled up the space where the gall bladder had been but this prevented food from going down. Had another procedure to pass a needle into the area and drain this fluid (this looked like sludgey sand) again I was told and shown on scan that the liver was leaking. So was now walking about with a drip in 1 hand and big bag of sludge in the other. By the way I was still constantly being sick. Was in the hospital another week.

Went home late 1 night had to call an ambulance, so off I went again to be readmitted. This time I had a pulmonary embolism ( blood clot on the lung). Was treated with blood thinners and I thought that was it. but no, when I went to have the stent removed I was told you now have a stomach ulcer due to all the puking. so more medication.

Went home thinking at last i'm out of that place. Trouble is i'm still in extreme pain. This all happened in 2012.

I complained to the hospital and got letter back basically saying they didnt cut my liver (lie) and was very sorry if they treated me like an idiot. I was so angry I went to a solicitor but they said unless we can prove the liver was leaking it was a 50/50 case.

In the past couple of weeks I have now found out what my pain is ............I have 2 surgical hernias even though the letter I received back from the complaint said I left hospital with no pain (lie).

In my notes they had put down that where they drained the liver leak that it was a cyst (lie).

I have now got to have faith the hospital will repair these hernias to put it mildly- im bricking it.

The nursing staff on the whole were fantastic. apart from few incidences like being left on a bedpan all night and constantly puking and no one would come and help me, to the point when the day shift arrived the sister came in and wanted a statement on why I was so distressed and surrounded by sick bowls.

The nursing staff at night I feel can be a bit slack. sorry this was so long but as you can see it was bodge after bodge and please wish me luck as I will be making an appointment for the henias and im not an imbecile as you can see

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Siobhan Francis, PALS Officer, Barking, Havering and Redbridge University Hospitals NHS Trust

Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of your experience, I was very sorry to read the concerns that you have raised. If you would like to discuss your concerns further, you can contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service, who will be happy to assist you in any way they can. The PALS team can be contacted on 01708 435 454, or by email PALS@bhrhospitals.nhs.uk. I would also like to wish you all the best with your impending hernia appointments.

Yours Sincerely

Nadeem Moghal

Medical Director

  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful