"What happened to a caring and supporting role? "

About: Rotherham, Doncaster and South Humber NHS Foundation Trust / Adult mental health

(as the patient),

I have had problems with my health centre for the past few months. In the past I have had a CPN (community psychiatric nurse) 3 years ago but now I have a social worker for mental health which was fine but they moved on and now I have a new social worker, but I do not believe I should have one. I think I should have a CPN but it seems I am not allowed to have one and the health centre have put a lock down on this.

It's my understanding that a social worker is supposed to be there for material problems but I suffer from depression and have been labelled with a personality disorder which I don’t believe I have. I believe I have not been treated with any compassion and I feel no one will meet me half way and have no sympathy. My social worker does not always return my calls even when I think she is in the office and I feel as if I am being fobbed off.

I know things are changing in the mental health system in October but something needs to be done locally. I feel they are not listening to patients/clients. I know people can do so much but they but they should listen to individual needs and care plans.

If I want a support worker I could apply for one but I think the health centre has put a block on it. I feel I need a support worker as my social worker doesn’t understand how I feel or my medication. If I am not very well I can’t ask for help, I keep being passed about person to person and when I phone the crisis team I have found them to be unsympathetic. What happened to a caring and supporting role? I won’t phone them anymore.

I feel as if my view doesn’t count and no one is here for me. I have called Doncaster PALS but I don't find them helpful- I think they listen to my health centre and I feel like that makes me look bad.

I am happy with the care I have received from my GP and the hospital but not the mental health care. I am asking my psychiatrist to change teams.

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Nick Arkle, Patient Engagement/ Psychosocial Interventions Lead, Rotherham Doncaster and South Humber NHS Foundation Trust

Dear Glacier 137,

I am sorry to hear that you do not feel that you are being listened to by staff.

We welcome feedback about the services provided by the Trust and encourage people to contact the Patient Advice Liaison Service (PALS) if they are seeking information about the services or have a concern. I see that you do not think PALS have not been helpful, but I would ask you to contact PALS should you have further concerns in the future.

Should you wish to contact PALS you can do so in any of the following ways:

By Post to:

Patient Advice and Liaison Service

St Catherine's House

Tickhill Road




By phone to: 0800 015 4334

By Fax to: 01302 796687

By e-mail to: pals@rdash.nhs.uk

Yours Faithfully,


  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful

Response from Rotherham Doncaster and South Humber NHS Foundation Trust

Dear Glacier 137,

Every service user has the right to request a change of Care Co-ordinator or to make a complaint about the service they are receiving if they feel that it is not meeting their needs.

I would advise you to contact the team manager or service manager to discuss your concerns to try to find a resolution.

If you do not find that this helps I would advise you to consider making a complaint.

Yours Faithfully,

Wendy Fisher

Deputy Assistant Director-Adult Community Services