About: Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother Hospital

Yesterday my diabetic, 77 year old father was admitted to QEQM following a fall. He was complaining of arm and hip pain. He has had many falls before. He was admitted at around 11.30am. At 1.00PM a nurse came and took blood pressure etc and undressed him. After an hour we finally saw a doctor, who looked to be the only Dr covering at least 18 patients. They recommended an X-Ray. At this point we were now at 14.00, 4 1/2 hours after the fall and 3 1/2 hours after admittance. My dad was finally x-rayed at 3.45 pm. Despite my dad's complaints about his hip, only 1 xray was taken of his hip. A ophthalmic Dr came to speak to us and told us that dad had fractured the top of his arm, that his hip was fine and that he would probably be sent home. My dad and I protested, my dad said that the pain was so much he couldn't walk. At this point he had received no food, water or insulin. At 6.00pm a physiotherapist came to see us. The first comments they made were that my dad had been to the hospital a couple of weeks before. I replied that there was no way that that could be the case. The physio replied that they recognised a dressing that my dad had on his head and said that they were sure that they had seen my father (my father has not been admitted to A&E at this hospital for nearly a year). The physio then started discussing options for my dad to go home. They asked if I could his king size bed down to his lounge or had a single bed I could install. Next they asked my dad to move the leg that was causing him pain. My dad said he couldn't. He was bruskly told that he should. My dad tried and whimpered (I've never heard my dad do that). The physio left. At 19.30 the original Dr came back, apparently they had found a severe fracture in my dad's pelvis! This is now 10 hours after his fall and all he had had were two doses of oral morphine, a saline drip and some paracetamol. I was told to go home, that my dad would be put on a ward and would have a CAT scan the following day. Today I rang to find out where my dad was (no-one called to tell me the ward). I got to the hospital to discover that my dad had had no insulin the previous day, that he had been CAT scanned that evening and hadn't been put on a ward until 03.00. Additionally, he had been told by the physio that he needed to get up and start sitting in a chair. I went and found a nurse. I had to wait about 10 minutes before anyone spoke to me. The notes on my dad were limited, however his surgeon now says his arm is pulled and that he should be able to get about using a crutch and bearing his weight on 1 leg. My dad currently has 1 working arm, poor balance, diabetic neuropathy and is registered blind. This is all in his notes and was explained yesterday. No one could enlighten me today, apparently all the surgeons and people who knew anything were in surgery, so I have to make an appointment tomorrow morning to speak to them. I'm disgusted and quite frankly worried for my father's safety!

Story from NHS Choices

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother Hospital

I am so sorry to learn about all this.

We absolutely need to look into this to see what was happening as this is not the standard of care we expect for our patients.

Please will you contact PALS on 01227 783145 or 01227 864314 or via email at ekh-tr.PALS@nhs.net, or even by completing an on-line form which you can access by clicking on the green 'C' (for complains) button on the front page of our website ekhuft@nhs.uk

We need some further details so that we can take this forward and ultimately we will need your father's consent - but please get in touch with us.