"Social care and young disabled twins."

About: Norfolk County Council North Norfolk

(as a parent/guardian),

How many people does it take to push two wheelchairs?

I am the mother of school age twins who have an un-diagnosed neurological condition. They are completely unable to walk, have a learning disability, a social communication disorder and emotional and behavioural difficulties. They need lots of opportunity to socialise, to do simple things like experience going to the shop and buying sweets but I simply cannot push two wheelchairs by myself. I have built up a good network of friends and supporters for the boys who are a huge help, however I would value the support and guidance of a good social worker. I have tried so many times and in so many ways to get the boys a social care assessment.

My aim is to get my boys as bright an independent future as possible. I simply have no idea how to get them a social care assessment, when I phone I’m told there is nothing anyone can do? All I want is a social care assessment – I would like a good social worker to help empower and enable me to do the best for my children. One has recently had an operation, the care they receive in the next few years may affect whether or not they will eventually be able to walk.

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Norfolk County Council

I have just had you report bought to my attention. I am the Health and Disability Commissioner at Norfolk County Council. You are right to suggest that you should be able to access a social work assessment both in regards to your needs as a carer, but also your disabled children needs.

All families requesting a social work assessment should go through main customer services number at Norfolk County Council and they should filter your call through the Multi Agency Safeguarding Hub, which will take your details and pass your case into the relevant social work team that best meets your family's needs. The number is 0344 800 8020.

If this is not successful approach your local early help hub. The number for the North Norfolk team is 01263 739022. If you discuss your situation they will assist with getting you inked into the rights services for care and support in the community. I hope this is helpful.

  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful