"Gynecological issues still not resolved (really desperate for answers)"

About: Queen Margaret Hospital / Gynaecology

(as the patient),

For the past three years I have been back and forth to my GP about my ongoing problem regarding pain during sex.

In 2013 I presented the problem to my GP who insisted on investigating any external factors that could be causing the issue. After a series of tests which included bacterial swabs, STD testing (all with negative results) and physical injury, my GP referred me to the Gynaecology department up at Queen Margaret Hospital.

After a 2 month wait I had my first appointment. When it came for me to be examined, the Gynaecologist asked me some standard, somewhat generic questions. For example – if I smoked, or had any sores, or engaged in any risky sexual behaviour, all I answered with a “no”.

After the questionnaire was completed, I had my examination. The Gynaecologist barely looked at me and put my dread of experiencing pain (which is so common for me during examinations) down to a condition called Vaginismus, which is a psychological disorder characterized by fear of sex. I was sceptical, but immediately I was given vaginal dilators and an instant referral to see a health psychologist. A scan was also preformed on my womb. Again nothing untoward was found.

Despite my scepticism on my new condition, I adhered the advice given and attended psychology for a year but found that after using the dilators my problem wasn't getting any better. I then tried using dilators/psychology tools for yet another year. Unfortunately my problem was still prevalent, so I returned to my GP in 2015. Again I was referred back to Gynaecology, where this time I saw a different doctor who gave me a completely different opinion.

I was told that my condition was in fact medical, not psychological, and that I should never have been referred to psychology in the first place. I asked Doctor number 2 about how the problem could be solved. Surgery was suggested, but I was immediately “scared” from it after the Doctor told me that there are quite a number of risks involved. Not once did the Gynaecologist mention the positives and suggested that I keep using the dilators to fix my issue. I was also insensitively told that child birth would “solve my problem” – which is something a 23 year old does NOT want to hear by an opinionated professional! ! I soon left and got told to come back in 6 months from now. I saw the Gynaecologist in November, 2015 and was told an appointment would be sent out. I have yet to receive one.

It has gotten so bad to the point that my personal life is being greatly affected by this problem. I can barely get through a smear test without flinching in pain. One minute I am told my problem is “in my head” the next minute, it's not. So which is it? I am seriously disappointed by my local health department's response and lack of knowledge concerning my issue. After having done my research on what could be causing the problem, I discovered that there are many other gynaecological issues that could be affecting me... none which have been discussed or investigated. I feel that I am not being taken seriously at all and have no idea where I stand, nor do I truly know what's wrong with me.

I really am fed up with this pain and wish I had the facts upfront. I am desperate for an answer and hope that someone from the NHS could talk to me directly, because the problem isn't going away. I know for a fact that it isn't in my head and that I only attended the psychology appointments because I believed that I was given the right medical facts. It is clear that there is a level of incompetency and unprofessional standard in regards to this issue. I do not want to be left in the dark any longer.

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Louise Ewing, Patient Relations Manager, NHS Fife

picture of Louise Ewing

Dear Fabby2122

Thank you for taking the time to share a very detailed account of the problems you have been experiencing, which cannot have been easy for you. I think it would be very helpful to have a conversation so that I can arrange to get the right person to speak to you about your situation. I can forward your post on to the Service but in this situation I do think that we need to get further information from you to help move things forward. Pleas consider calling me directly on 01592 648069.


Louise Ewing

  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful