"Desperate for help from Wishaw General Hospital"

About: Wishaw General Hospital / Emergency department

(as the patient),

I am a teenage college student, presently studying Sports Coaching at City College Glasgow.

In mid November, I injured my knee playing sport. I visited Wishaw General A&E for assessment and related treatment. I was pre-diagnosed as having ligament damage without X-Ray or scans and was given an appointment to come back the next week.

I was expecting this to be with a specialist but it was another A&E doctor who referred me for an X-Ray on the day. Following this they knew it was soft tissue damage and they arranged for an MRI in the next 2/3 weeks.

I had the MRI and that was followed by a referral to what I thought was a specialist but it was another A&E doctor who confirmed I had a ruptured PCL and I would require surgery.

I was told to wait for an appointment and should hear within 3 weeks and if I didn’t to contact them. I didn’t hear and on contacting referral management recently, I have now been told that I am in the system for a normal appointment (i.e. not urgent).

Referral Management at NHS Wishaw general told me I had to speak to my GP to have this escalated for urgent treatment. I contacted my GP and they told me I that they have no authority to have my treatment escalated at the hospital.

I cannot walk properly, I have had to drop out of college temporarily and I have had to give up my part time job.

I am in constant pain and I need help and surgery urgently.

It is now over 2 months and I haven’t yet seen a specialist or been told when and if I will, and I get the feeling I am being passed from pillar to post.

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Marion Mark, Director of Hospital Services, Wishaw General Hospital, NHS Lanarkshire

picture of Marion Mark

Dear Tom-B

I am sorry to hear about your ongoing knee problems and the difficulty you are having in walking. I would ask that you contact Yvonne Ross our patient affairs manager by calling 01698366558 with your details to allow us to investigate your case. I would encourage you to do this as soon as possible as I am concerned that you have dropped out of college and that you still have pain.

I would urge you to contact your GP regarding your ongoing pain in the first instance to get you some immediate help.

Best Wishes


  • {{helpful}} of {{total()}} people think this response is helpful