"My elderly dad"

About: Bristol Royal Infirmary / Cardiology Bristol Royal Infirmary / General surgery

(as a relative),

Dad felt unwell rang me as I live locally. I rang 111 after getting his symptoms and they sent out the paramedics who after examination took us to the heart institute. This happened early Nov 2015 and he had a stent implanted immediately after arriving and the a pace maker fitted. He was discharged within 3/4 days and has been doing great. 6 weeks later Xmas week we had to ring the emergency services again this time gall stones.

I just want to say loudly My Dad was looked after without fault on visit one and all professionals were amazing and kind.

Second visit all good especially 111 and ambulance guys Tom and Liam. He came home on Christmas Eve sell. We recently discovered by chance that his mess had been increased without need. Big discovery and worry that between his Gp hospital and pharmacy this could happen. Being sorted now.

On the whole our experiences have been positive on the Nhs! So this is a positive feed back

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Bristol Royal Infirmary

We are pleased to read about the great care that your Dad received here at UH Bristol. Thanks for taking the time to feed back.

  • Grey thinks this response is helpful
    {{helpful-1}} other {{helpful-1 == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} so too

Update posted by Grey (a relative)

Sadly my father died in March 6 weeks after another gall bladder infection became apparent on the eve of his 90th birthday. We spent that night in the corridors of an extremely hectic emergency dept.

He was in agony. So sad to see. Staff did their best in difficult circumstances but they were stretched and it was agonising to see him suffer the wait. His pain could not be managed sufficiently for several days which weakened him.

He came home where he wanted to be and let go peacefully and slowly not wanting any more meds.

Medical staff, ambulance crew again were supportive as were our own GP practice in Bishopston..

Not everything went smoothly in hospital, his care did need chasing up and family monitoring but we are grateful for the NHS and need its vital services.