"Breast cancer mastectomy surgery and immediate..."

About: University Hospital Of North Tees

I was diagnosed with breast cancer on 18/9/15 and was told I would need a mastectomy with partial reconstruction on the day with fillers that would be inflated post surgery. I am only 44 with a 3 year old child so obviously a difficult time. I was admitted to the access lounge 27/9/15 at 7.15 and after being told I would be the first to be operated on (I wasn't) I went down to surgery at 10.30 am..staff were lovely and woke up obviously not well but glad everything was ok. The problem came when I was admitted to ward 30 for my post operative care.. Was on a ward with 3 other women..one had dementia and was constantly going through my possessions and asking where the toilet was( it was next to her bed) and couldn't even turn the light on..this went on all night..the woman in the bed next to her ( opposite me) was on morphine and slept all the time inbetween her family taking her out for cigarettes even though she had a lung disease and visiting times didn't seem to matter..she often fell asleep and spilt drinks over herself so I had to to ring and ask the nurses to help her? I came on to the ward about 2 pm and after visiting you would think you would get a rest..no..another lady was brought in who vomited constantly from midnight..after no sleep on the first night after my operation I was understandably tearful and in a lot of pain..my breast nurse came and thankfully arranged for me to go in to a room on my own which was much better..or so I thought..the staff are nice but we're run off their feet..I have medical training and realised that my Intravenous medication was being administered but the canula was never cleaned or flushed and was left hooked up for hours so I had to ring just so I could go to the toilet.my third night was even better..my canula was bleeding and although I complained they still fed antibiotics through which quite obviously ended up all over the floor..I had to get out of bed with 2 drains attached on one side and ring for help..they then decided to put a new canula in(I had suggested this earlier) which was done thankfully..they then took one drain out which eased my pain slightly and meant I didn't have to carry a carrier bag around with me just so I could go to the toilet..after feeling very traumatised I asked my consultant if I could go home then as I couldn't bear being there but I wasn't allowed as I needed 3 days iv antibiotics..I tried to think that it was my last night and would be home the next day..oh no..a lady in the next room had apparently had a traumatic experience and was allowed visitors until after 10pm to "support" her which included swearing, hysterical laughter and generally loud behaviour..you would think in a hospital after visiting you would get a bit of quiet? I tried to put earphones on and ignore it but was so tired and in pain myself I had enough.. They left at 11pm and were replaced by a poor lady who again vomited all night..no sleep again. On discharge my meds weren't ready either.

Story from NHS Choices

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from University Hospital Of North Tees

We're sorry you felt let down by your recent stay in hospital. If you wish to discuss your concerns please do no hesitate to contact patientexperience@nth.nhs.uk

  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful

Recently read