"Cooperative collaboration at all levels"

About: Colchester General Hospital

The A&E staff straightened my leg and X rayed their expertise and plastered the shattered leg within minutes of my delivery by taxi. I was in a ward within 2 hours and advised surgery would be carried out within 24 hours. From then I was watched over with visits almost every hour with unobtrusive tests to ensure nothing else untoward was happening in my body. Some staff took the time to chat which helped pass the time. Aldham ward staff kept me informed if there was the slightest change in my vitals: blood pressure,pulse, temp,O2 absorbsion,etc.

After the two and one half hour op, the physio dropped in to advise when & how I was to become mobile again. I was up the next day with a new moon boot. The physio and assistant (student) were there to gently guide me through their routine and in this time chatted of personal lifestyle things and developed a rapport. The care and instruction and patience was there to be seen and shared.

Six nights in the Ward and I was disappointed I could not locate all the day & night staff to express my gratitude. Upon discharge, they even organised a taxi and a full & complete medical record for my on-going treatment .

I should mention at this time, the incredible intervention of a particular porter who calmed my distressed wife and my epileptic son. They arrived in the UK without any British pounds, but a credit card. The hospital ATM malfunctioned, the porter double checked it, then arranged for off duty staff to deliver my family to a shopping centre ATM. Upon their return, I had moved on; there was a note indicating where I could be found. Our luggage had been secured, and when located, the same porter offered to phone around on their private mobile, for accommodation (it was holiday season, what were the chances ). They located something local. The direct line to the taxi company was out. Again the porter stepped into the breach. Outside my son had his 4th. epileptic episode for the afternoon, and the taxi was 40 minutes late. My wife was stressed. This time, a plain clothed police woman came to assist. She assessed the situation and phoned the taxi company to be told - 3 minutes, she then phoned the exchange for the number of the accommodation and requested the room be held for another 30 minutes. The staff at the North Hill Hotel, Colchester were very calming and settled my wife and son in very quickly. The porter staff are not given enough credit for the work they do, beyond their job specification.

Story from NHS Choices

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Colchester General Hospital

Many thanks for your comments and taking the time to submit them. We try really hard to improve our services based on the comments we receive from our patients, their relatives or carers.

  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful