"Catalogue of errors"
Posted by Jooleemcc (as ),
I presented at Gynaecology with a cyst, following an examination the gynaecologist establised that I also have a 'bulky' uterus which they were concerned about and suggested that whilst under general anaesthetic I have further exploratory test carried out and that I should also have an ultra sound scan prior to my surgery. They also carried out a smear during the exam. Here are the errors which have occurred since:
1. I received the result via mail from my smear test. Then received a letter saying the lab hadn't received my sample and I should have the test repeated. 2 weeks on I still don't know which letter was the mistake.
2. A pre op assessment appointment was made for me in Wishaw General but stated Hairmyres on the appointment card meaning I turned up at the wrong hospital and could not be seen.
3. Nobody told Wishaw General about the error so I later discovered that they had noted that I had simply failed to attend.
4. My surgery was cancelled with a note on the system 'cancelled by patient' (news to me! But possibly due to my failure to attend my pre op assessment)
5. Even though it was stated in my notes my ultra sound was not ordered. (I had to chase this up in order to receive the test)
6. My Dr told me I'd be having 3 procedures done, but at the pre-op assessment the nurse (on checking the Dr's notes) was only aware of the cyst removal and it appeared they may have forgotten about the other two procedures.
Now one week prior to my scheduled surgery I am unsure if it is still due to go ahead on the planned date and if the procedures discussed will be carried out. So far I have been unable to contact the gynaecologist for clarification. I'm concerned, stressed and worried about my health and the hassle and worry of of my treatment so far has added to this stress and left me lacking in confidence about my surgery.