"Terrible experience"

About: Newham General Hospital

I was pregnant with my first baby and was due in May 2015. My waters broke, hence me and my husband drove to the hospital as my contractions did not start. Once we arrived we had to wait for almost two hours to be seen. The midwife was laughing at me asking whether I am sure that my waters broke( and they broke indeed). She then said that I should go back home and wait for contractionf to start and if they do not start- come back in exactly 24 hours to be induced. I came back 24 hours later with no contractions only to find out that noone was expecting me there. Midwife who met me was rude and said she doesnt know what to do with me. 3 hours later I was rushed to my bed and induced with gel. 24 hours later- nothing happened. i was left in a limbo and every time I was aski g them to do something about it- I was left with no answer. Then finally they told me that they will put me on a drip to begin my contractions but i have to stay in a queue before a room and a midwife becomes available. i was in tears and going insane as I did not know what to expect but noone really cared. Then finally i was told that I am being transfered to my own room, when I arrived there, the toilet was covered in blood from a lady that gave birth there before me. They finally put a drip and my contractions started. i was left alone for a very long time and had to call few times for someone to attend to me. Then worst happened when my baby's heartbeat dropped and I was then rushed for emergency c-section. After that I had to wait in a cold room together with my baby to be transfered to my bed. As a result of this long wait - my baby and I were both put on antibiotics for a week.I had to beg staff to change bed sheets. Very few midwifes were really lovely, whereas some of them were awfully rude and could never answer my questions . On the day of my discharge Noone even told me when I could go home, so i was waiting whole day to be discharged around 7 in the evening. I also had a breathing problem- allergic reaction to all the drugs I was given- and when I came to the corridor and told one midwife that I cannot breathe she smiled and told me to go back to my bed and press emergency button- is it not madness??? As a result I was given a drug to fight my reaction and was given an oxygen mask to breathe- and I had to fight for that. My whole experience- very traumatic and every time I pass Newham Hospital- I do get shivers. Thank God my baby was a real fighter and is now a very healthy baby

Story from NHS Choices

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››