"the hospital don't seem to do anything in quick motion"

About: Pinderfields General Hospital / Trauma and orthopaedics

(as the patient),

I went on a night out and took my shoes off like you do after a few to many beverages. I then got glass or wire stuck in my foot and didn't realise until the morning after. After washing my foot and thinking everything was out I left it be, even though it was still very painful, but I thought that was due to me obviously opening my foot up and it starting to heal. After a few days the pain went.

Then a few weeks back the pain came back worse than ever. Everytime I stepped down on my foot a shooting pain would appear leaving me to stumble sideways and give me teary eyes. I had enough and my mother took me to hospital.

After waiting 1 hour and a half I got seen to and was asked to wait back inside the waiting room to then be confronted by a confused Dr asking why I hadn't had my X-ray. Nobody even called me. So after all that I finally had my X ray and it was confirmed I had some form of something in my foot and my skin had now healed over.

I then was discharged to my GP who couldn't refer me to a specialist unless I had a note from the Dr, which he didn't give me. So she then had to ring the Dr and go on a goose chase to find the info out. She rang me back 2 days later saying that the specialist will ring me tomorrow or the day after for an appointment to get it removed (by this point I had the object in my foot for three months before all this happened). So, action needed to be taken asap.

The specialist never rang. We then spent three days trying to find out what happened and why. The hospital said I should of had it removed the week before (when my GP phoned me).

By this point, I was furious with how negligent I felt these people are. My mother phoned up three times asking for the specialist and to know what was going on 1st time, she was looking into it (receptionist), 2nd time no answer, 3rd time, 'oh sorry hadn't had chance to look yet'. I'm a receptionist myself and it's difficult to believe that receptionist was that busy for nearly 4 hours she couldn't take 3 minutes out her day to check.

My foot is now infected and even harder to walk on and is beginning to ooze and as its on my foot its almost impossible for it to stay clean, as I'm wearing shoes or socks all day then slippers after work. This is ridiculous and a total outrage I have an object in my foot and the hospital don't seem to do anything in quick motion to get this infection and my foot okay again.


Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Paul Jepson, Patient Liaison Manager, Mid Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust

Dear Yaaaas

We would be pleased to arrange for your concerns to be investigated if you would like to contact us diectly with appropriate details. The contact email address is pals@midyorks.nhs.uk

  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful