"Getting dental care"

About: Crosshouse Hospital / Dental NHS 24

(as the patient),

I tried to get treatment at local nhs dentist, but would not treat me as I could not pay for it. I have no job and not entitled to benefits as my wife works 38 hours a week now also we are not entitled to credits. where can I get treatment free, need help. I feel invisible.

More about:
Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Shona Lawrence, Patient Affairs Manager, NHS 24

picture of Shona Lawrence

Dear Mr Invisible

I read your posting on Patient Opinion with interest and I am sorry to learn of the difficulties you are experiencing in obtaining dental care. Can I suggest that you perhaps source information from NHS Inform. I set out the relevant link below:


In addition to this, please see a further link which provides direction on information availalbe via the Scottish Government website in relation to dental care.


I do hope that these resources are useful to you.

With kind regards

Shona Lawrence

NHS 24 Patient Affairs Manager

  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful

Response from Eunice Goodwin, Patient Feedback Manager for NHS Ayrshire and Arran, Quality Improvement and Governance Team, NHS Ayrshire and Arran

picture of Eunice Goodwin

Dear mr invisible,

I am sorry to hear that you feel this way and when I read your post I wondered if it was worth adding a few bits of information in case it is helpful to you and possibly others reading this. The advice you have been given by Shona Lawrence, NHS 24 Patient Affairs Manager is absolutely on the button, but I thought I would chip in too if that is ok.

Are you aware you can register with a dentist and get a free check-up? You may also be able to get some help with costs of treatment under some circumstances that you may not be aware of. Your nearest citizens advice bureau or the department of work and pensions should be able to help you to know what help is there for you.

If you have got tooth ache and it is an emergency situation, it is possible to go to Ayr hospital to the emergency service which is free. While this is service is there for you in an emergency, we would always encourage you to register with a dentist and attend for check-ups to prevent you getting to the point of pain before you get treatment where possible.

I hope this is helpful and that you get the treatment you need.

Kind regards,


  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful