"In Patient care"

About: St John's Hospital / General Medicine

(as the patient),

I was admitted to hospital on Monday.

On Tuesday, even though I felt fine, my consultant had already decided I was to stay another night.

After blood tests (following ward round), I requested to speak to a doctor to find out the results at 3: 15pm.

I asked a couple of times more. After 6pm I was told the chances were "slim".

22 hours later I spoke to a doctor!

And when the doctor did come, they hadn't properly checked my test results - and clearly hadn't read my notes.

I ended up leaving minus a discharge letter and medication.

The doctor that did come - I wouldn't put them in charge of my TV remote.

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Melanie Johnson, Executive Nurse Director, NHS Lothian

Dear Adamsdad

Thank you for taking the time to comment on our services. I am sorry to hear of the poor organisation of your care at the time of discharge.

Please accept my apologies.

I will bring this to the attention of our staff at St Johns.

Best Wishes


  • Adamsdad doesn't think this response is helpful
    {{helpful}} of {{totalOthers()}} other people think it is helpful

Update posted by Adamsdad (the patient)

There was poor organisation of my care full stop. Not just at discharge.

I was sent by my GP who wanted me on IV antibiotics within the hour - I waited two hours in a waiting room before being assessed in any way shape or form.

I wasn't actually told why I was being kept in.

The consultant had decided before seeing me on the Tuesday that I was staying in.........no matter what.

A nurse asked a junior doctor if I was to be given fluids to be told "He's not my patient".

I am of the opinion that this is why I wasn't seen by another doctor - because they never bothered their backsides to decide if I was their patient or not.

I asked to change consultant to someone more familiar with my case. This wasn't refused - it was simply ignored.

And then you get to the discharge - which was a day too late in my opinion - and that is why the 22 hour wait was so ridiculous. I could and should have been home!

Update posted by Adamsdad (the patient)

2 months on, and zero, zilch, nothing.

That says it all really.

To whom's attention did you bring it to? And what was done/said?

I am now at a point where if I ever have to go through PAA or MAU again, I fear I will meet the consultant I was under - more so PAA. Twice I have dealt with them. Twice the level of communication has been derisory.

I repeat.............22 hours for a doctor to speak to me! That's just disgusting.