"Son's illness"

About: Worcestershire Royal Hospital

My son (12) fell ill on 27th June with what looked like a tummy bug, I called 111 at 9.30pm with a view to seeing an out of hours doctor. Half way through the phone call my son became so ill that the person organised a first responder and an ambulance for him. The first responders were excellent. They felt my son had bacterial meningitis so administered large doses of penicillin. My son has Aspergers syndrome so was very anxious about having a cannula put in. The first responders were very patient with him (whilst quietly radioing a doctor to come out to sedate him if necessary!) In the event, he became so poorly he did not need sedating. The 2 first responders continued to work on him in the ambulance on the way to Worcester, radioing ahead for Resus and a paediatrician. His time in Resus (though terrifying for me!) was also very organised and I was kept informed at all times. He was very poorly with a temperature of 40.8 and cannot remember being there at all. At about 2.30am we went to the children's ward (he remembers the porter talking to him) where we were met by an nurse who was always kind to my son and worked both nights we were in hospital. By 4am with blood tests and other results back, it was decided my son had a bad kidney infection. I cannot remember the names of all the staff involved now but there was a paediatrician and an SHO that I would like to thank also. By about 6am he was quite a bit better and our remaining day and a half in hospital passed quite smoothly! The room was very clean and the food pleasant. There was a room for parents where I had the occasional cup of tea. I was quite overwhelmed when the first responder and a paramedic popped in the next day to see if son was OK. The flexible visiting times were very useful as it gave my mum the chance to bring my other son in to see us and a friend of mine was able to visit in the evening. The staff had made sure I was comfortable with a fold up bed but also checked that I had had someone to visit me, which was thoughtful. Pharmacists came round on son's last day and sorted out long term antibiotics. It took a week for son to get better and last week he had a small operation which should help prevent similar infections.

Story from NHS Choices

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Worcestershire Royal Hospital

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. I am sorry to hear what happened to your son but so pleased how well things were handled. It’s great to know how well you and your son were cared for during his stay; this is the high standard of care we aim to deliver. We are always very grateful for feedback and it is a real boost to our staff to be told that they are providing good quality care. Thank you once again for taking the time, best wishes

  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful