"The system works!"

About: St Peter's Hospital (Chertsey)

Having felt very unwell for a couple of days I struggled into the garden to do some watering. I was just finishing when I toppled over, ending up with a grow bag in my face. No big problem so far, but then I found that no matter how hard I tried I could not lift my body even slightly off the ground. Eventually I managed to get onto my knees and was able to crawl back into the house and drag myself into a chair. It was mid-evening so the only option was to call 111. The call was answered in good time and I was taken through a list of questions. At the end of this I was told that I needed to talk to a doctor and someone would call me shortly, as indeed they did. A very reassuring person listened to my tale and said that they or a colleague would call to see me as soon as possible, as they duly did around 21:00, having asked me to have a urine sample ready. After testing the sample they found several irregularities that concerned them. They then examined me thoroughly and found several other issues that they were not expecting. After considering the options they said that they felt it unwise for them to issue a prescription without having more information, so suggested that I get myself to A & E at St. Peter's as soon as possible. Fortunately my neighbour was still up and she ran me across to the hospital where we arrived around 23:00. Fortunately it was a quiet night and I was processed at Reception after a few minutes and was being seen by the Triarge nurse little more than15 minutes later. I was swiftly fitted with a cannula and moved through the very efficient investigation process in an efficient and friendly manner. It was obvious that they too were puzzled by my symptoms and after number of tests I was advised by the doctor that I needed to stay in overnight for further checks the next day. Within a very short time I was moved to the Medical Assessment Unit where I was processed by the friendly and efficient night shift, connected to a drip for my dehydration and given intravenous antibiotics. Having ensured that I had plenty to drink and being asked if I wanted anything to eat, I was made as comfortable as possible for what remained of the night. The rest of my stay was to be in MAU, which turned out to be rather like being the spare bus at the bus station, with patients coming and going continuously, many staying only a few hours before being allocated to specialist wards. Despite the frantic activity, I was treated at all times in a friendly, polite and efficient manner. Further tests were made and I was given a further session on a drip and had further intravenous antibiotics administered and was kept on for a further night to ensure that my chest infection, which was the final diagnosis, was sufficiently under control to allow my eventual departure late on the third afternoon. In summary, I was very impressed by the whole process, from calling 111 to being released to go home. All the staff were friendly, efficient and polite. I thank them all.

Story from NHS Choices

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from St Peter's Hospital

Dear Peter Firstly we hope that you are now feeling better and have made a good recovery. We are very pleased to hear you were impressed with the care and treatment you received in A&E and MAU and we will pass your kind comments onto the teams. Thank you for taking the time to post your experiences here.

  • {{helpful}} of {{total()}} people think this response is helpful