"Accident and Emergency on Tuesday and Wednesday"

About: Lincoln County Hospital / Accident and emergency

(as a relative),

On Tuesday at around 5am, my mum had really bad back pain, struggled to walk, stand, sit and breath. We decided to go to A&E. We were seen by a nurse quite quickly, which was helpful, and given painkillers and got us a wheelchair so that mum did not have to walk. We then waited to see a doctor. Doctor which seen us was trying to be nice, however, he was not too helpful, and I think he was falling asleep when I was explaining what happened. He said that as mum did not fall or hit herself, she should go home and take painkillers. I have explained that on Friday she had a MRI scan for her back. After me informing him that I will not move from hospital until something is done; I would not take her home like this, especially that painkillers did not work. He then looked at MRI scan and informed that there is nothing bad, just few changes, and again informed that we should go home. I kindly informed that I am not taking her home. He then examined her in more details, and called for orthopedic department. Mum was given more tablets, after which she fell asleep, which was good. After a while doctor from orthopedic department came, listened to what happened, and examined mum again. He then went to talk with other doctors. After a while a different doctor came, with 3 more people, examined again and explained that at the moment, not a lot can be done. He explained that in the next 24 hours pain should go away, or a least it will not be that bad. He gave a choice or either staying in the hospital and be under control, or go home, and come back on the next day if there is no change. My mum chose going home, as it is less stressful. Team that came to see us last was helpful, explained everything clearly, and answered any questions which I had. However, I did not find the doctor who saw us first too helpful.

On the next day, Wednesday, the pain did not get any better, even when taking quite a lot of painkillers. We have decided to go back to hospital in the afternoon, around 1pm. After doctor called us, and I have explained everything, he asked us to wait while he calls for the orthopedic department. I was very happy about this. Doctor did not examine mum, as it was unnecessary for him. Then another doctor called us. He was in the orthopedic team which seen us on Tuesday, and he remembered us. He was very friendly and helpful. Did an xray just to check that it is not a fracture, even though he said that it is very unlikely. After an xray, we were seen by him again and another doctor, which examined mum in detail, looked at MRI scan, explained the results, and informed about what can be done. They have informed us that they will do everything to book us an appointment with a specialist as soon as possible, who comes to Lincoln from Nottingham once a week. I was very grateful for that. They also gave mum a stronger painkiller, which started to work not too long after taking it. They answered any questions which we had. The care on Wednesday was very very good, and I am happy about this. Today, we have received a letter with an appointment with a specialist, next week. I am very grateful for this.

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust

Dear Mia003,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your recent visit to A&E, these will be shared with the A&E team and the A&E Consultant who will address the concerns raised about the doctor you initially saw.

If you would be willing to contact christopher.sharman@ulh.nhs.uk with your Mum’s details we will be able to identify the individual involved.

Karen Hansord – A&E Sister

  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful