"Changing my surgery to another"

About: NHS Borders

(as the patient),

I have little faith in my local doctors which is close by, I have asked a surgery a little further away if I can register with them but they say I am outwith their area, my reason is my daughter has glue ear and suffers from allergies, and that practice has a homeopathic doctor.

I have also been myself and 90% of the time come away with the obvious! and not at times even been looked at.

I have phoned the NHS your health your rights and they do not know who I can write to- to challenge this! ! The answer I got was I'm just a phone operator.

Unbelievable, anyone had this problem


Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Susan Cowe, Feedback & Complaints Officer, NHS Borders

Dear Lizina7,

Please accept my apologies for the delay in providing you with this response. Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience.

Occasionally patients wish to change their GP and there may be no other Practices covering their area in these situations patients can either contact:

• Practitioners Services Division Registration Department at http://www.psd.scot.nhs.uk/doctors/registration-with-a-practice.html tel.0345 300 1024, or

• The local NHS Board and ask to be assigned to another Practice. In NHS Borders please write to Costas Kontothanassis, Primary Care Contracts Manager, Mezzanine Floor, BGH, Melrose, TD6 9BS, with your details and request.

However, please note that if you live outside your new Practice’s area you may not receive the full range of services that were available to you from your previous Practice (e.g. home visits).

  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful