"Dreadful A&E Treatment"

About: South Tyneside District Hospital

I attended A & E on 11 March with severe renal colic. Having seen triage, I later saw a doctor. I have had kidney stones for many years and I asked if I would have an x ray and was told there was "no point since they had nothing to compare it with". After 4 hours I saw the A&E consultant who sent me home with tramadol. The next evening at 10pm I was in such pain that I returned to A&E. I saw a doctor who asked various details. I was in such pain, I told the doctor they were in the file they had from day before. I was examined then left in the waiting area having received a pain killing injection. This did not work. I had blood and urine samples taken. At 2 am the Dr. asked if I had been to xray and when I said it had not been authorised, the doctor produced a sheet previously printed off at midnight. (The department was not busy and staff behind the desk were busy organising a tombola!!) I was then sent to xray, with my 65 year old relative left to push me there and back in a wheelchair. Once results were back, the above doctor asked what I wanted to do. I asked what was the outcome and diagnosis from the tests. The doctor said I had several stones in the bladder. I asked if there were any in the kidney or the tract, and the doctor said the could not see because of "the shadow" but did not explain further. I asked about pain relief and they said take Tramadol. I said I'd been taking it from the day before and it hadn't worked and that's why I returned. The doctor then said double the dose I said would go the following morning to see my GP for a referral to a BUPA consultant and the doctor then sent me home. On leaving A&E another patient noticed that I had been discharged with the cannula still in the back of my hand! The following morning I went to my GP for the referral to a BUPA consultant. The consultant examined me, and did tests then authorised a CT scan. In the meantime I passed a 5mm stone. On getting the results, the doctor told me I had one small stone in each kidney, however the "several stones in the bladder" referred to by A&E were in fact calcium deposits at the end of the lymph nodes which are apparently quite common. The doctor also said that the "shadow" had in fact been gas. A&E had failed to carry out basic tests, did not give me appropriate advice or tell me about any follow-up. Their attitude was far from caring or in the interest of the patient and as such the department failed to meet standards set down in their charter.

Story from NHS Choices

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from South Tyneside District Hospital

Thank you for taking the time to post on the NHS Choices website your recent experience of our A&E Service. I am truly sorry that you had cause to visit the Accident & Emergency Department on two occasions within 24 hours for the same symptoms. From your comments I can see there were communication issues relating to your care and diagnosis for which I apologise. Should you wish this matter to be formally investigated, please write to me at South Tyneside District Hospital, Harton Lane, South Shields, NE34 0PL or email me at Lorraine.lambert@stft.nhs.uk I have copied in the relevant managers to this response in order that they can share your experience with the medical staff to ensure lessons are learned. In the meantime, I do sincerely hope your pain has subsided and you are in a more comfortable position. Kind regards Lorraine B Lambert Chief Executive

  • {{helpful}} of {{total()}} people think this response is helpful