"Disgusted with new A&E when not listened to by..."

About: Northwick Park Hospital

I was sent by my GP on Thursday 11/6/15 to see a vascular surgeon, this has been arranged on the phone prior to my arrival at my GP surgery. I reported to A&E within 30 mins and that's where my shocking experience started. I was subjected to a long Que, whilst having a letter to go straight in, one person dealing with inquiries whilst others where standing around chatting. One into triage the Consultant was not interested in my letter but sent me into a room with others where bloods where eventually taken, the letter from my GP still unopened or read and understood. After 2-3 hrs I asked what was going on a where was the vascular surgeon, 2 members of staff behind the desk frantic chat wheres has the Dr gone? one said home? then one said break when I asked what?? The doctor has gone home? I called my GP to inform them I had been waiting 3 hrs with no site of the vascular surgeon and still no one had taken any notice of my GP's letter. I asked the staff behind the desk for the SHO as my GP was on the phone asking me to source a SHO or let them speak to the nurses in front of me, shock horror I cant do that you need to see the person dealing with you... but I am unable to the doctor not here, still refusing to help or speak to my GP. Eventually the consultant was seen walking around hands in pocket and I asked them to speak to my GP, the consultant was very put out and rude, exceptionally rude to my GP on the phone saying that they are just GP's. They eventually hung up and proceeded to then be exceptionally rude to me, they took me in a room and for the first time asked to see my infected foot, theres nothing wrong with that they said and even said about it not being clean, the fact I was struggling and was offered no assistance from some one in the caring profession (not) and the fluff on my foot was from a new pair of socks i was wearing, they threw my blood results at me saying there's nothing wrong... look...look. Now Im no Dr so how was I to know? I had been sent in after 3 weeks of antibiotics and the infection wasn't clearing up... I walked out and discharged myself and ripped out the canular in my arm. On the way home my GP called, a profuse apology from the head of A&E and the vascular team was awaiting to see me and hadn't been told of my arrival for over 4hrs!! I was allowed home after tests confirmed an infection and an X ray and higher strength antibiotics for 2 weeks... I was treated as a second class or lower citizen, if I thought it was worth complaining I would!

Story from NHS Choices

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››