"Treatment during my stay at Yeovil hospital"

About: Yeovil District Hospital

During my stay at Yeovil hospital from 21st may to 26th may 2015 I was admitted to ward 6 b on the trauma and orthopaedic ward, due to a cat bite on right hand which got infected and swelled and very painful, and I had spreading cellulitis going up my arm as well (septicaemia). On Saturday 23rd may in the afternoon an agency nurse put the flush through my catheter, and as they did this they moved my catheter needle which caused me a lot of pain. As they flushing I said it hurt but the nurse continued treatment and it bled. The nurse didn't change the dressing - my sisters were visiting me at the time and were appalled at my treatment. A different nurse had to change it the next day as I was in a lot of pain, and they were appalled by my good arm being infected and the swelling was very painful. The dressing was bloody where the previous nurse didn't change it, I also had a large bump in my arm due to the catheter needle not put in properly on the Saturday 23rd where the agency nurse moved it. So once again that agency nurse came towards my bed and said they had to flush my catheter and I was petrified, but the nurse continued but said they couldn't flush and it then went all over my bed making my bed soaked and me not getting my treatment. I was distressed so I said I need the loo so I pretended to go to the loo and managed to ask the ward sister to help me and I told them what happened previously and showed them my damaged infected was good arm, and said I didn't want that agency nurse anywhere near me! The ward sister took over and changed my wet bed and continued my treatment successfully and the ward sister said they had no trouble flushing and putting my antibiotics through. I was discharged out of hospital on the 26th May with 15 tablets and a bad arm, which they said would settle down, but on the Friday 29th May I was back on a & e after a painful night before. The doctor saw me, and they were lovely and looked at my arm and said this should of never happened. The doctor put me on more stronger tablets and I went home. On the early hours of Sunday morning the left armpit was inflamed working towards my left breast and I had a lump appear on my left breast I was in agonising pain and discomfort and my husband had to call a paramedic who then checked me and said I had to go back into a & e to be checked. I went down in a ambulance, and luckily the same doctor was working and got on the case. I had palpitations in the night so they checked my heart bloods etc. I was very upset and my family were angry that Yeovil hospital had let me down. I was suppose to get better in hospital but it caused my good arm to be infected causing problems that didn't need to happen from this agency nurse who has problems administrating medication properly and moved needle.

Story from NHS Choices

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››