"mental health services in suffolk"

About: Norfolk and Suffolk NHS Foundation Trust

(as a parent/guardian),

I have a daughter who is now 19. Very long story but she was always a little different and found it difficult to fit in at school etc. Issues were raised by various people and eventually a letter from her primary head teacher advised us to get her checked out. Child development decided she had superheroes and wheels were set in motion with school etc to accommodate that. Problems were continual until at 15 she begged me to get her help. I took her to gp and the process between that and seeing correct mental health person took nearly 2 years.

By this time I was not allowed to be told anything and her behaviour had deteriorated and become very aggressive. She has now been seeing people since who have said she doesn't have aspergers and have diagnosed her with a personality disorder which they have apparently told her is my fault. I struggle to see (even if there were a shred of truth in that) how that is in any way helpful. My daughter who I love very much was always difficult but now she is difficult and hateful towards me as she now believes I caused her problem. I think I would like some advice on how to make a formal complaint. I feel that these people have not done their homework.

This has been in my opinion a poor investigation into the patients and my circumstances although the individuals involved were nice people.

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Norfolk and Suffolk NHS Foundation Trust

Dear “tryingtohelp”

As a parent of a young woman who has experienced ill health for several years this of course must be distressing for you and you would want to find the most timely and appropriate support available for her.

It seems as this has been difficult to achieve as you tell us that it took a long time to get contact with a mental health practitioner, you didn’t feel you were included in her care plan or discussions about her diagnosis.

It seems from your story that the situation is increasingly difficult for you and we would like to offer support to both you and your daughter.

We really hope that you can make contact with us via our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) Team. They can support you to describe more about your experiences and direct you to Trust staff as appropriate. They can also advise you on our complaints process.

Please call 0800 279 7257 (Freephone) or email: pals@nsft.nhs.uk and quote reference PA15-3. Thank you.

  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful