"My experience in the hands of our caring NHS!!"

About: Calderdale Royal Hospital

I visited the ENT department on April 7th. I had hopes of, at the very least, some answers and guidance on how to manage some distressing symptoms I experience every day of my life. I left feeling that I had been a bother to the consultant and was summarily dismissed as a time waster. They were not interested in anything I had to say. In fact it seemed they didn't even listen. They dismissed, with a laugh and a wave of the hand, everything I tried to talk to them about. They had completely ignored a concern from a trainee audiologist that my eardrum appeared damaged. This consultant's professional opinion of my problems was that I had a short neck and this was causing the problems. This is ludicrous to say the least. They did concede that I had some catarrh in the back of my throat. I said, "So, I have to just live with this?" Their response "Yes". Their 'advice' was drink lots of water and watch my weight. I am a standard size 12! I am not by nature someone afraid of speaking my mind but I was so stunned I just left feeling that I couldn't get any help, even from a so called specialist! I returned to my GP who offered to refer me again but I have lost faith in the service so declined. I have since researched and paid for advice. My decision to make this complaint was made after hearing that someone else had had a similar experience. I know this doctor is the exception but feel that they need to be told how their behaviour towards patients is unacceptable. In the meantime I continue to tell my story to anyone who asks what my experience of ENT on that day was like. I have chosen not to make an official complaint as I will be leaving the area shortly and I will seek advice again in my new area.

Story from NHS Choices

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Calderdale Royal Hospital

I am sorry to read of your experience and apologise for delay in responding. It would be helpful to understand the details of your experience so we can look into this further. These can be provided through the Patient Advice and Complaints Service who can be contacted on 0800 013 0018/01484 342825 or at patient advice.cht.nhs.

  • {{helpful}} of {{total()}} people think this response is helpful