"Disappointing experience"

About: Liverpool Womens Hospital

I was diagnosed with stage 1b1 cervical cancer at Arrowe Park on 23/3/15 and was told my case would be discussed at the MDT meeting in 26/3 and I would be given the results on 30/3. When I went in on the 30th my results hadn't been reviewed and I was told that everything had been sent to the women's on 26/3 for review at their meeting on 1/4. I hadn't heard anything from the women's by 7/4 so I contacted them and was told that I was on the list to be discussed at the MDT meeting on 8/4. By the 10/4 I hadn't heard anything so contacted the women's again and was told that they were still waiting for my results from Arrowe Park!!! I contacted Arrowe myself who assured me that everything had been sent over, however they would send them over again. Disappointed by the level of service I had so far received, I contacted PALS on 13/4 and within an hour of speaking to them, I was told that my results had been received and I was invited in on 15/4 following the MDT to discuss results. My appointment was at 13:10, I was seen at just after 15:10!!! There was a screen which said that the doctor I was seeing was running 50 minutes behind, however 50 minutes came and went and nothing else was reported! When I finally saw the doctor I was told that there had been a difference in opinion in my results and they now believed I was stage 1A (much more positive) and so I was being sent for a cone biopsy on 20/4. I received a letter confirming my appointment, however it was rather confusing as there were 2 sheets of information regarding when I could last eat and drink etc, both with conflicting information so I wasn't sure which one to to follow! When I went in the staff were relatively friendly, but we were told that there weren't any changing facilities and so would need to get changed in the toilets. When I woke up after the procedure I was told by a nurse that I had a gauze to soak up any blood and they'd be back in an hour and a half to check on me and suggested I sleep until then. I woke up and the hour and a half came and went and no one came back, I started to quite desperately need the toilet but there were no staff to ask and I didn't have a panic button or anything, so I just had to lie there in discomfort until someone came into the room! After finally going to the toilet, I came out to find the bed I had been on had been stripped, no one was there so I just wandered out into the hallway and was told to go and sit in another room. I was given a drink and something to eat and then left alone. I wasn't given any info on when I could go home, after a couple of hours I wandered out and asked when I could go home. I was asked if I had been to the toilet, I said I had been 3 times (I had walked passed the nurses station each time). They asked who was picking me up and gave me the phone so I could call. I just felt that the aftercare I recieved was disappointing considering the good reports I had received previously.

Story from NHS Choices

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Liverpool Womens Hospital

Can you please contact me on 0151 702 4416 so that we can discuss further Kind Regards Barbara Freeman

  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful