"Nurses were fantastic but doctors don't seem to..."

About: Basildon University Hospital

Went into A&E Wed at 2am with pain in my abdomen, was told there was a 4 hour wait which was expected. Admitted to CDU by 6am where I had an X-ray and urine sample taken. Wasn't seen by a doctor until 9am who told me I needed an ultrasound scan which was booked in that day. I wasn't visited again until 6pm by a different doctor who asked me all the same questions and told me the same thing...I needed an ultrasound before they could assess whether to take out my gall bladder. However they said I would not be able to have the scan today it would need to be tomorrow so i could either stay and have it the next day or leave and come back as an outpatient 2-3weeks later. I decided to stay even though by this time I was exhausted and verrry hungry having been nil by mouth ahead of my scan. I did make them aware from the beginning I had had a scan at a different hospital in Jan and it came back positive for gall stones however they couldn't just contact that hospital for the results as they needed to ensure it wasn't infected even though both scenarios would end in the same result...having my gall bladder removed. Anyway I was then transferred to Laindon West Ward on Wednesday at 12pm to wait for my ultrasound, there were 2 other women in this ward who had been in a similar amount of time and had not had their scan so I became a little dubious that I wasn't going to be having it that day either. It wasn't until my partner arrived at 4pm that he started asking questions (because believe me if you don't ask no one tells you anything) I then received another visit from another different doctor who went through all the same questions and guess what...told me the same thing as the doctor the previous day...that it was unlikely I would be getting my scan today and it was more likely going to be the next day but I could come back as an outpatient etc! My partner and I were slightly frustrated by this as it was the exact same scenario as the day before, we told the doctors this and they advised that they were unaware the same thing had happened the day before and that they were sorry blah blah blah but the lack of communication between them was ridiculous! The final nail in the coffin came when they said if I stayed and waited I would remain nil by mouth, by this point my head was pounding my throat was sore and I felt extremely dehydrated and all I had was a drip that was doing nothing in terms of keeping me hydrated and one of the nurses pressed the doctor to allow me some food or liquid as they were worried about my levels of hydration but the doctor refused.I decided in the end to be discharged and come back as an outpatient, it means I now have to wait up to 3 weeks for the scan then a further 6 weeks to see a surgeon but I couldn't bear to stay in there any longer as the symptoms of staying in hospital were becoming as bad as the pain in my abdomen! I will say though that the nurses in the hospital were really friendly considering the stress theyre under

Story from NHS Choices

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Basildon University Hospital

We are sorry to hear that you are not happy with the care you received at Basildon and Thurrock University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust. Your comments have been shared with the departments concerned. Can we also encourage you to contact the Patient, Advice and Liaison Service on pals@btuh.nhs.uk or 01268 524900 ext 4441.

  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful