"Four months on........... little progress."

About: Forth Valley Royal Hospital / Adult mental health

(as a parent/guardian),

Almost 4 months ago, I wrote on Patient Opinion regarding a lack of planning in relation to my daughter’s care, by adult mental health services. A response encouraged me to call a clinical nurse manager, “due to complexity of your journey so far and your request for immediate action”.

Immediate action or help has not been forthcoming. Still, no follow up has been planned through, although a care coordination meeting had been set for the beginning of this month, then cancelled. It has been rescheduled for early April, I understand. It may or may not bring forth planning and care in my daughter’s case, however, I have little confidence that any help is imminent.

In the meantime, another communication muddle made somewhere within the NHS disrupted my daughter’s medicine supply, and again it has been left to the family to pick up the pieces and attempt to rectify matters.

It is wholly exasperating for us all, given the timescales reported above.

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Patient Advice and Support Service

Dear frustrated dad,

I have noticed that you have not had a response to your post. I am sorry to read about the experiences you have had in the planning of your daughters care and wanted to offer some information to you if you would like some help in raising these issues with the NHS. The Patient Advice and Support Service (PASS) is an independent service providing free and confidential information, advice and support to anyone who wants to give feedback to the NHS.

You can access this service from any citizens advice bureau in Scotland by going to a bureau in person, or by telephone. The number is in the phone book. You can find more information about the service at www.patientadvicescotland.org.uk

When you contact your citizens advice bureau, you will see a generalist adviser who will refer you to a specialist adviser if necessary. You can get information and advice on giving feedback to the NHS including the rights and responsibilities of both the NHS and patients.

The adviser will be able to meet you and explain the NHS complaints process, and help you to draft a written letter to provide feedback to the NHS. The adviser can also explain the NHS complaints procedure and support you if you are asked to attend a meeting with the NHS to discuss your feedback.

Best wishes,

Niamh O’Driscoll

Patient Advice and Support Service

  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful

Response from Pauline Marland, Person Centred Patient Experience Coordinator, Department of Nursing, NHS Forth Valley

Dear Frustrated Dad

Thanks for contacting us through Patient Opinion. I can appreciate that as a father feeling helpless in the face of your daughter’s situation is exasperating. It is a really difficult situation and I am sorry that we don’t appear to be helping make it better.

In speaking with my colleagues, we believe we recognise this situation and I think you may have contacted us through a different route too and that there’s now ongoing communication taking place. I have shared this experience with colleagues in adult mental health and have been assured that someone will be in contact with you.

Best wishes to you and your daughter.

  • frustrated dad doesn't think this response is helpful
    {{helpful}} other {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} think it is helpful

Update posted by frustrated dad (a parent/guardian)

Dear Pauline Marland,

As you we believe you recognise the situation I outlined, it might be helpful if you contacted me directly to inform me of the "ongoing communication taking place".

Nobody has been in contact with me from 'adult mental health'.

Thank you, however, for making a response.