"Functional Endoscopic Sinus sSurgery and..."

About: Lister Hospital

I had FESS at Pinehill hospital under the NHS on 28th Feb. An hour later I had a bleed which was dealt with promptly and largely efficiently inserting packing. I was kept in overnight because of the bleed but one the packing was removed I was discharged the following day and the recovery began. Had intense headaches for a couple of days and palette numb (still) but kept going on painkillers and gradually improved. One eye became swollen. GP visited but no cause for alarm. 10 days later (10th March) I had another bleed which I couldn't stop so rang 111 and on their advice went to A&E with my husband. Eventually (after about 1hr) it stopped and I was discharged with the advice from an ENT Dr to suck an ice cube if it started again. Ever tried holding your nose and sucking? I had been home for about 40 min when it started again much more heavily I tried the sucking ice cube but it was impossible. Then very large clots started protruding from my nose and I was quite frightened. My husband rang for an ambulance and a very capable first responder came extremely promptly. They called for an ambulance and although it virtually stopped I went back into A&E. The treatment I received there from A&E staff was good but there was no access to ENT specialists. By now it was about midnight. The bleeding had restarted and it was agreed that I needed some inflatable packing that no one on duty was able to fit. Eventually the young ENT Dr came and said only the registrar could fit these but they did not say that they were on call but at home. I was moved to the ressuc area of A&E and given Tranexamic Acid to try and stop bleeding. The bleed was heavy and at the top of my nose so lots of congealing blood was going down my throat. At this point I started vomiting this gel like blood. It carried on until 4am! All the young ENT Young Dr said was that we would wait and seeif it settled down. I thought at this point the ENT reg was somewhere in the hospital and was not bothering to come. I was very distraught so was my husband. The nursing staff were amazing. Supportive, compassionate, and absolutely horrified at the lack of intervention. Eventually my husband said that unless things were sorted out he was going to make a formal complaint. Miraculously things started happening! An F2 Dr with some ENT experience who had successfully inserted this type of packing before was 'allowed' to carry out the procedure. 4hrs earlier this had been suggested by another F2 Dr but the idea had been dismissed. The bleeding immediately stopped and about 10 min later the R egistrar made an appearance! No doubt lured from their bed by the threat of a complaint. At the time I blamed the inexperienced ENT Dr but I think their hands were tied. I'm sure they contacted the Reg and I think the 'Let's wait and see' comment came from them - but I don't know this. This was far from compassionate care. I suffered 4 hrs of unnecessary bleeding and am only just beginning to recover. Ward 11B care great.

Story from NHS Choices

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Lister Hospital

We're really sorry that you feel so let down by our doctors - we would like to have this investigated formally, so we would ask if you wouldn't mind contacting us at generalenquiries.enh-tr@nhs.net so that we can get what happened to you whilst in A&E examined. Whilst overnight some of our doctors are on-call, that can never be an excuse for not ensuring patients get the care they need, even if that means attending themselves - it's why they are on-call and at most they should be no more than 30 minutes away. Once again please do accept our apologies, but we do hope that you will get in touch so that we can follow all of this up for you.

  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful