About: The Royal Liverpool University Hospital

(as a relative),

My mother is currently an inpatient at the Royal Liverpool Hospital. Admitted on Monday after I drove 400 miles to take her. All her care was discussed with me as mum currently does not have the capacity to make decisions.

I have had to return home and have been trying to get information about what is happening with mum but have been told that I have to go to the hospital to discuss as they cannot discus over the phone. I Iive 400 miles away. How can I get somebody to speak to me regarding mum or do I have to get in the car and drive for 7. 5 hours to get some information.

More about:
Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Royal Liverpool and Broadgreen University Hospitals NHS Trust

Thank you for your comment. Please speak to the ward manager or the matron for the area where your Mum is being looked after so they can address your concerns - they can speak to you over the phone and should be able to arrange a time to speak to you. Alternatively, you can email our PALs team and they can ring you or ask a member of the ward team to contact you. You can contact them on PALS@rlbuht.nhs.uk or phone 0151 706 4903/2265 or type-talk 18001 0151 706 4903/2265.

Update posted by confused1 (a relative)

Thank you for your quick response. It was the ward manager I believe I was speaking to who refused to discuss any of mums care over the phone. This needs to be raised with staff so that other relatives in a similar situation don't have to be put in the same stressful and horrible situation. This is a heartbreaking enough time as it is without having been dealt with in such an uncaring and unhelpful manner.

Response from The Royal Liverpool University Hospital

Thank you for your comments. We are sorry to hear that you didn’t have a good experience with our hospital. We would like to find out more from you so we can investigate your concerns properly. If you would like to contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS), they will be able to help. You can contact them by phoning 0151706 4903/2265, via complaints@rlbuht.nhs.uk or typetalk 18001 0151 706 4903/2265.

  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful