About: East Surrey Hospital

I had my first baby in January 2015 at ESH and 5 weeks on I'm still traumatised from the horrendous experience. I went into labour early hours of the morning and went to ANDU ward where they confirmed my waters were broken from being seen regularly on rusper I knew the midwives and could not fault them! So I was told to go for a walk then the midwife handed me over to delivery suite this is where it all went wrong. My husband and I were left sitting on a couch which felt like a holding bay, with other ladies in active labour. My labour pains were getting worse and was seen by an agency midwife who obviously hadn't got my handover she asked me the same questions wanted to monitor baby, do an internal exam when it all had been done by the midwife on ANDU! So I told her then she sai I had to go for another walk as I couldn't be examined internally for another 4 hours so we did and at 9pm the pain was so intense I begged for pain relief. And to be examined a young midwife kindly checked me in the birthing unit and I was still only 3cm so was given pethidine injection and was transferred back to Rusper ward where I was left for 3 hours rolling around in pain and vomiting my husband was in despair and tried his best to support me! At thiis point I begged for an epidural as I couldn't cope anymore so I was transferred back to Delivery Suite. This is where it got serious but luckily I had a midwife who knew what she was doing she checked my observations I had a high temperature og above 38 degrees Celsius a fast pulse and my BLood pressure was low due to severe dehydration and infection but this was only me when she monitored my baby's heart rate she found my baby was in distress...... Luckily I had an amazing midwife who used her instinct! I was seen immediately by the medical team and had appropriate treatment re antibiotics and fluids. We also found out the baby was back to back explaining the horrendous pain but a epidural immediately controlled my pain. i tried to have my baby naturally but after 6 hours the doctor made the decision for the best interest of my baby as she was still showing signs of distress to have an emergency c-section. The care I received during the surgery was outstanding doctors fab and my wonderful midwife supporting my husband and I. My baby had to be rushed to neonatal unit and I didn't get to hold her 😞 I was then transferred to maternity HDU seen by consultant who said I could go to the ward as my vital signs were back to normal. My baby came back to me 7 hours later but would need x2 doses of iv antibiotics daily. So we went to burstow ward and this is where it all went wrong again I felt like I was in a prison cell on a ward with 6 other ladies with blue curtains pulled around no natural light, no space not the most conducive environment for recovery and bonding with your newborn. The midwives were unprofessional didn't appear to having a caring bone, was given dangerous advice and no support/pain relief offered

Story from NHS Choices

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Laura Warren, Head of Communications and Marketing, Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust


We are sorry that your experience has meant that you feel traumatised following the birth of your daughter and that you found some of the midwives to be uncaring.

We would like to assure you that we take all feedback very seriously and first and foremost we would like to apologise unreservedly for any inadequacies in you care. We would like to invite you to meet with us to give you the opportunity to discuss your concerns.

Please contact me at Janice.blythman@sash.nhs.uk and we can arrange a meeting with you at a time to suit you.


Janice Blythman

Post-natal matron

  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful