"Full Abdominal Hysterectomy"

About: Leicester General Hospital

I am writing this review for two reasons, firstly I would like to thank all staff from gp, local hospital and Leicester General Hospital for all their care they have given me. Secondly, should any other women have to go through this procedure this review may put them a little at ease. After numerous water infections I was referred to have a ultrasound on 1st October 3.30pm at local hospital to check both kidneys and bladder. By 4.07pm my gp had left a message on phone referring me for a Gynaecology appt (2 week referral). Kidneys and bladder looked ok but scan had shown a mass. Received letter from Leicester General, appt to see a Gynaecology Consultant on 13th October. Saw a registrar who had my notes from scan. A 14cm mass had been found which could be a fibroid but couldn’t rule out it wasn’t cancerous. I was sent for blood tests there and then, and receptionist booked me in for a CT Scan at the LRI 2 days later 15th October (alarm bells started ringing with how quick the tests were being booked but knew this was the best thing). Received next appt for 27th October, was seen by the consultant himself. The scan looked to show it was a fibroid, but this would need to be tested after the operation to rule out cancer. Was advised the best possible treatment would be to have a full abdominal hysterectomy removing both ovaries at the same time. Me and my husband did not hesitate to having this done, just wanted the best possible outcome. I received telephone call to go for a pre-op assessment, and then a further call informing me operation was booked for Saturday 22nd November, Ward 31, 7.30am. On arrival at 7.00am to say I was nervous was an understatement, this was my first ever operation. We were shown to a Treatment Room waited to be seen by Consultant and Anaesthetist to go through procedure and sign consent forms. They both knew how nervous I was and tried to put me at ease. Was then shown to my bed, Bay 3 by the nurse. The nurse who went with me to theatre was from the LRI (she will know who she was), she knew how frightened I was and very tearful, and all I can say is she was brilliant with me talking and trying to calm me down. After operation returned to Ward 31 and all staff I met were very helpful during my stay on the ward. Yes they are very busy and seem short staffed but nothing was too much trouble, even having to buzz them couple of times in night. My consultant came and saw me next morning said the operation had been more tricky has the fibroid had stuck on my bowel, and I needed a blood transfusion. A smaller fibroid was also found. These were both sent to pathology. I am now 10 week post op and have the best possible outcome, they were both benign fibroids. No further hospital appointments necessary. I would like to thank all the staff involved for your care especially my consultant. Some people complain about the NHS but i can only give it praise for all the treatment I have received.

Story from NHS Choices

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Leicester General Hospital

Dear Pauline, Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments. Coming to hospital is never easy, but we’re glad you had a positive experience with us. It's very brave of you to share your experience with others who may be going through a similar thing, and we are sure this will offer some reassurance. We wish you all the best, Communications Team Leicester’s Hospitals

  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful