"Absolute Nightmare!"

About: Princess Alexandra Hospital (Harlow)

I visited the Princess Alexander Hospital Accident and Emergency department on the 5/11/2014 with severe pain to my left side. I was admitted to Saunders ward that same day. During my 6 day stay I was had an ultrasound scan and was told I I would need a surgical procedure to fit a stent. On the 10/11/2014 the procedure was performed and the stent was fitted, I was then told I would need a follow up procedure called a Lithotripsy: A procedure to break a stone into small particles that can be passed in the urine. This would normally be around five weeks after the stent was fitted. After two months passed and hearing nothing from the hospital I decided to phone saunders ward. I spoke to a male nurse and explained to him that I was concerned that I had heard nothing from them regarding my follow up He went off and spoke to somebody and when he returned he told me the reason I had heard nothing was that no follow up was ever booked! he then told me I would receive a confirmation letter within the next 2 weeks to let me know when the Lithotripsy procedure would be taking place. 3 more weeks had passed and still I received no communication from anyone at the hospital. On Thursday the 6/2/15 I telephoned the hospital again and once again had to explain what had happened. This time I spoke to a female nurse and still no follow up had been booked, I then said that 3 months has passed since I had the stent put in and I was concerned that complications may occur due to the longevity of time it had been in place. She then went off and spoke to a doctor and then told me someone would phone me back the same day. The same day being the 6/2/15 my partner took a call from the hospital, she was told to inform me that they had pencilled me in for the procedure for the 24/2/14 and someone would call on the 7/2/15 to confirm this , again no one called ! Today being the 11/2/15 I again telephoned the hospital to find out what was going on regarding my follow up. I was once again told nothing had been booked as there was again no referral. I again explained my concerns and was told that the Matron of the ward would call me back today. I have again heard nothing! I am very concerned that I have had to call the hospital now on 3 different occasions regarding my care and that nothing has been done 3 months after the initial operation to fit the kidney stent. I am also concerned that on my discharge neither the consultant who performed the surgery or the doctor who took charge of my care booked a follow up visit I am concerned that the longer this situation continues that long term damage may occur to my left kidney. I am completely dumbfounded by the severe lack of communication from the hospital and have now sent a formal complaint to the trust Chief Executive.

Story from NHS Choices

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››