"Excellent efficient and friendly service thank you"

About: North Tyneside General Hospital

I stupidly fell off a ladder and broke my wrist. My wife escorted me to Rake Lane A and E where I was seen by a fourth year medical student after only a twenty minute wait who sent me for an X ray. On my return I was seen promptly by the consultant who said I would have to be admitted for an operation. To keep the wrist safe a back slab was applied. Altogether I was on the ward within two hours. Everyone in A and E was wonderful. They listened and treated me efficiently and with respect. The trauma ward is incredibly busy but all the staff were wonderfully attentive caring and friendly, The next morning I was seen by the consultant and as I have a delicate neck and lots of allergies I was also seen by the Anaesthetist who discussed and gave me choices about the best way to ensure I was pain free throughout the operation. I was first on the list and awake throughout the operation because the Anaesthetist very cleverly blocked out the nerves to my arm and wrist in a very skilful manner. The operation took two hours and was carried out, I think, by the Registrar under the guidance of the consultant. They were all wonderful and extremely professional throughout. Similarly in post op I was given personal attention before being wheeled back to the ward where because I had not had a general anaesthetic I was able to enjoy lunch. All the staff on the ward from the lowliest assistant were lovely and always treated me with care and respect in a friendly manner, I left the next day after again having seen the consultant, a pharmacist and a physiotherapist. My wound did have slight leak so the consultant asked to see me the following week. I was also provided with a special sling so that my delicate neck did not have to take the strain. The following week I saw the Registrar who had carried out the operation, he removed the back slab and examined my nicely healing wound. He then sent me to have a new dressing applied and to be provided with a wrist splint. We were out of the hospital half an hour after my appointment time. Again the week after I had another appointment with outpatients which was handled very efficiently. On arrival I was sent for an X ray. Without being seen by the consultant I was then sent back for another X ray from a different angle and then saw the consultant. He examined me very carefully and asked to see me in four weeks. Again he was very attentive and organised for me to see a phsio for some more exercises straight away. The physio saw me, gave me some more exercises and said someone would be in touch to set up a more thorough session. That was Tuesday and altogether we were out of the hospital within one hour of my appointment time. Someone did get in touch and I was back for a more thorough physio session 9 o'clock two days later. Again the physio was great and spent half an hour with me getting my full medical history and going through a comprehensive set of exercises. Another appointment has been made for next week. Fabulous!

Story from NHS Choices

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from North Tyneside General Hospital

Dear Lars, Thank you so much for this very thoughtful review. It is extremely kind of you to provide us with such detail....especially when recovering from surgery on your wrist ! You describe the complexity of healthcare delivery beautifully and all the steps that need to be in place to provide a joined up and coordinated service. I am so pleased that this is exactly what you got and feel very proud of all the staff that have contributed to such excellent care. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to go back to them to acknowledge their efforts - it really does mean a great deal to us all. Do take great care of yourself, especially when returning to your ladder. With best wishes, Annie

  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful